LOR / Quick Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cmxivkk

New

LOR / Quick Question

Post by cmxivkk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi all - I have been out of school for two and a half years now, and have two recommendations already submitted. One is from a law professor at my dream school who advised me throughout undergrad, and one is from a mentor of mine at work (partner at a law firm). However, after some research, it looks like I need another academic rec... and I have not kept in as close touch with my other professors. I have two options for who I can ask, and would like advice on who you would recommend!

1. Thesis advisor. He recommended me for my current position, but I was never really sure if he liked me or thought I was a total idiot. However, I did GET my current position, and he also later recommended my thesis for publication. Mixed messages.

2. Professor I was an RA for during my junior year and at the start of my senior year. She liked my work and I contributed a lot in her class, but I also took a class with her husband who I think liked me significantly less. My last email to her (senior year) went unanswered, though I suspect it was forgetfulness more than anything else.

I would prefer someone who I'm certain would write a glowing essay praising my every success and foible, but I don't think either of these options fit the bill. Apprehensive...

LSRAT

Bronze

Re: LOR / Quick Question

Post by LSRAT » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:28 pm

You know these people and what they can offer you better than anyone on this forum. It's really just a personal decision. Focus on what you think they'll be able to say about you (and provide that type of information to them, e.g. "I think you saw my leadership skills when..."). No one here is going to know more about what they'll say than you do, unfortunately.

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:29 pm

(Better yet, ask them both, and then if one of them flakes you won't be waiting on a letter. I learned that one the hard way.)

cmxivkk

New

Post by cmxivkk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Good idea. I'm still apprehensive about both options (for different reasons) - but perhaps they'll decide for me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”