Which of the two is a better diversity topic Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Which of the two is a better diversity topic

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:51 am

I have two options.

A. Life as an immigrant. Grew up affluent back in homeland but father's business went bankrupt after a global financial crisis and our family was forced to start a new life in America under a destitute environment. Essay will center around my childhood up to high school years as a minority (Asian) in a predominantly white neighborhood and lessons learned on being humble and how the transition from wealthy to poor shaped my view on world.

B. Non-traditional student as an older applicant with real life experience. Essay will focus primarily on my professional achievements that spans nearly 10 years since college, including entrepreneurial experience . Essay will show how my expertise in global trade will contribute at LS and how my goal differs from other LS students in that my ultimate goal is to open a solo practice to fulfill my entrepreneurial ambition.

I see both pros and cons of each =

I see A as the more "typical" diversity topic but I see it being more successful due to the more personal and emotional nature of my childhood experience.

I see B has the risk of sounding too much like an essay version of my resume (with specific examples) but it is much more relevant to my decision to attend LS and could be more befitting to showing how I could contribute to the class with my real life experience rather than simply being a minority immigrant.

beckettbuddy

New

Re: Which of the two is a better diversity topic

Post by beckettbuddy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:56 am

Obligatory disclaimer: I am a 0L. I know nothing you don't know.

I think you've already made the right choice.It sounds like option B could be a great personal statement. Option A sounds like a stellar diversity statement. In my opinion, you're set. You just have to write them now

toobig2lose

New

Re: Which of the two is a better diversity topic

Post by toobig2lose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Choose "B".

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”