TFA vs Paralegal job? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LMP10

New

TFA vs Paralegal job?

Post by LMP10 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Hello,

I found out a few months ago that I was accepted into TFA. This was something that I've wanted to do, so I was pretty excited. However, I've been worried lately about the negative press that TFA has been getting. Around the same time I also applied for a paralegal position with the Department of Justice, and I also found out pretty recently that I've been offered a position there.

Would it be a bad move to drop out of TFA in order to accept the paralegal job, or does it not matter either way what I choose? I know that neither one of them are really "stellar" jobs to do before law school. The only thing that is causing me to hesitate is the negativity surrounding TFA, so any advice would be appreciated.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Re: TFA vs Paralegal job?

Post by EnderWiggin » Tue May 24, 2016 4:37 pm

Is the "something" you've wanted to do TFA or teaching?

The reason I ask is that your reference to negative attention that the organization has received recently makes it seem like you are sold on the TFA organization and less so on teaching. Keep in mind that you would be a teacher first, with all of its associated joys and challenges. The TFA tag should really be of secondary concern in the sense that it's your backdoor into K-12 teaching without having completed the traditional student teaching/state-level certifications and requirements. For your own sake, ask yourself..

Do you want to be a teacher?
If Y -> go teach
If N -> take the paralegal position or do something else

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Former TFA'er here. I think a lot of the negative press TFA gets runs through education academia. Every interview I had, and every attorney I've talked to about it, always had a positive reaction and viewed it as a plus.

With that said, you should do TFA if you want to be a teacher and are truly committed to helping low-income students. If you're just searching for a resume boost/way to kill time before law school, don't do it. TFA is a great experience if you put your heart and soul into your students. But if that's not something you want to do, it'll be bad for you, the school you get placed in, and most importantly the kids.

Edited to add: The same way you should only go to law school if you are certain about it and want to be a lawyer, you should only do TFA if you are certain about it and want to be a teacher.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 pm

TFA is not for the faint of heart and I wouldn't recommend it solely as a resume builder for law school. (TFA isn't even that special/unique of a soft)
Both are good/cool jobs in their own right, but if you don't want to teach and/or serve disadvantaged communities, the DOJ paralegal job is probably the right move.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 pm

OP, if you want to talk about this irl, PM me. I'm a former corps member who became a lawyer and my spouse is a person who reached teaching via the traditional route but is now a TFA staff member, so I've seen all sides of this coin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LMP10

New

Post by LMP10 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I just wanted to add some more details about my reasons for wanting to do TFA. My main goal is to go to law school, but I've always wanted to focus on special education while I'm there. I have worked for the past few years with a lawyer that mainly does special education cases, I've worked at a school for special needs children, and I applied to teach special education through TFA. So, my final goal isn't to be a teacher, but I wanted to gain more firsthand experience with the children that I would (hopefully) one day be working with.

I know how difficult special education classrooms can be, so I'm not concerned about that part of it. What I'm worried about is whether it will actually harm my law school application or not. Finally, even though I want to focus on special education, I don't want to be a teacher, so I feel like law school admissions would just look at my TFA experience and view me as another person that is doing it just for their resume.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:20 pm

LMP10 wrote:Thanks for all the responses everyone. I just wanted to add some more details about my reasons for wanting to do TFA. My main goal is to go to law school, but I've always wanted to focus on special education while I'm there. I have worked for the past few years with a lawyer that mainly does special education cases, I've worked at a school for special needs children, and I applied to teach special education through TFA. So, my final goal isn't to be a teacher, but I wanted to gain more firsthand experience with the children that I would (hopefully) one day be working with.

I know how difficult special education classrooms can be, so I'm not concerned about that part of it. What I'm worried about is whether it will actually harm my law school application or not. Finally, even though I want to focus on special education, I don't want to be a teacher, so I feel like law school admissions would just look at my TFA experience and view me as another person that is doing it just for their resume.
This is actually one of the best rationales for TFA>law school I've ever heard. Special education litigation is one of the few growing lit fields. And there is such an incredible massive shortage of SPED teachers in low-income schools that many of them are forced to use paraprofessionals (fancy word for subs) in positions they can't fill.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:24 pm

LMP10 wrote:Thanks for all the responses everyone. I just wanted to add some more details about my reasons for wanting to do TFA. My main goal is to go to law school, but I've always wanted to focus on special education while I'm there. I have worked for the past few years with a lawyer that mainly does special education cases, I've worked at a school for special needs children, and I applied to teach special education through TFA. So, my final goal isn't to be a teacher, but I wanted to gain more firsthand experience with the children that I would (hopefully) one day be working with.

As a first and second year teacher, you will most likely not have your own classroom. Most new SPED teachers serve as co-teachers to gen-ed teachers. In other words, you are most likely to be placed in a regular classroom to assist students with LDs like dyslexia, ADHD, etc., complete their work.

seagan823

Bronze

Post by seagan823 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:48 pm

The biggest issue career educators have with TFA is the two year thing. You will probably be a an ineffective teacher your first year and only marginally better the following year. It takes years to become a good teacher, particularly in the neediest areas.

That being said, as a social worker in a school/community hybrid role, I constantly work with special education advocates. I know many would be better if they had real experience teaching. I think it's a great idea to teach before doing this, but I say give it at least four years in the classroom first. You'll actually be able to learn enough to help kids as a teacher and to know enough to be a high quality advocate after law school.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:58 pm

emkay625 wrote:

This is actually one of the best rationales for TFA>law school I've ever heard. Special education litigation is one of the few growing lit fields. And there is such an incredible massive shortage of SPED teachers in low-income schools that many of them are forced to use paraprofessionals (fancy word for subs) in positions they can't fill.
+1

OP do you know if you'll be doing SPED? When I did TFA, most CMs didn't have placements until the summer or right before school started.

I don't think TFA will hurt your law school application (although I'm skeptical about it helping as well). Applying for public interest positions this summer, every employer asked about my time with TFA and seemed to view it as a plus. All that being said, it sounds like you have a lot of experience already. My concern would be that a two year commitment doesn't add a whole lot if you know you're not interested in teaching. I suppose its more relevant than being a paralegal, but DOJ might give you more time to study for LSAT and you could apply after one year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”