Splitter Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NodeNode

New

Splitter

Post by NodeNode » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 pm

j
Last edited by NodeNode on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: Splitter URM-- technologist with a political party

Post by grades?? » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Can't tell you anything without a score. Come back when you do.

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Your GPA probably disqualifies your from Harvard Yale and Stanford. Get a 177+ though and everywhere else is probably possible.

NodeNode

New

Post by NodeNode » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:21 pm

How much does the recommendation play in? How much does the professional experience weigh? Lots of early stage legal discourse in this area--nextgen internet sys, but is it meaningless aside from the two numbers?

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:24 pm

NodeNode wrote:How much does the recommendation play in? How much does the professional experience weigh? Lots of early stage legal discourse in this area--nextgen internet sys, but is it meaningless aside from the two numbers?
yeah mostly 2 numbers plus your URM status. Im a black male splitter as well but am straight through from undergrad. Work experience is nice, recommendations mean very little, a point on the lsat or your GPA is worth much much more than both of those.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 pm

NodeNode wrote:How much does the recommendation play in? How much does the professional experience weigh? Lots of early stage legal discourse in this area--nextgen internet sys, but is it meaningless aside from the two numbers?
Pretty much yeah. Admissions is literally 95% GPA, LSAT, URM status. A little room for world shattering softs but unfortunately yours aren't. With your really low GPA, you need to only worry about crushing the lsat.

NodeNode

New

Post by NodeNode » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:33 pm

What would world shattering softs be?

NodeNode

New

Post by NodeNode » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:40 pm

grades?? wrote:
Pretty much yeah. Admissions is literally 95% GPA, LSAT, URM status. A little room for world shattering softs but unfortunately yours aren't. With your really low GPA, you need to only worry about crushing the lsat.
Should also mention, this sys is being shopped around at some of the biggest banks in the world...though this isn't to say this is a world shattering soft. Legitimately unsure as to what a world shattering soft is...though maybe you mean like a rhodes scholar?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:41 pm

NodeNode wrote:What would world shattering softs be?
Olympic Athlete and Rhodes Scholar. Or both. PM me if you want more info but those softs are something that makes an admissions committee say oh, this is a resume we haven't/wont see more than once in a few years (unless its Yale, and then, well its Yale).

Edit: Being shopped around is different then selling it for $50 million. Not being rude, but sure its a cool thing that your technology is being showed around. But thats not something earth shattering, at least at this point. Sell it for $50 mil, then screw going to law school anyway. Anything less, meh.
Last edited by grades?? on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:42 pm

NodeNode wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Should also mention, this sys is being shopped around at some of the biggest banks in the world...though this isn't to say this is a world shattering soft. Legitimately unsure as to what a world shattering soft is...though maybe you mean like a rhodes scholar?
https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/pro ... ss-profile

Some are just quirky but others are super impressive. They usually have at least 1 rhodes scholar each year. Peep that bronze star recipient doh. This isn't even the most impressive list I've seen from them.

NodeNode

New

Re: Splitter

Post by NodeNode » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 pm

t-14orbust wrote: Peep that bronze star recipient doh.
There's been about 66,000 of those awarded since Sept 11, 2001. You don't even need to be in combat or even around combat to get one; it's a "thanks for playing" award. Some dudes did bad-ass stuff to get one, some did laundry in Kuwait or answered emails in a 5-Star hotel in Qatar.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
t-14orbust wrote: Peep that bronze star recipient doh.
There's been about 66,000 of those awarded since Sept 11, 2001. You don't even need to be in combat or even around combat to get one; it's a "thanks for playing" award. Some dudes did bad-ass stuff to get one, some did laundry in Kuwait or answered emails in a 5-Star hotel in Qatar.
is that why it's bronze

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NodeNode

New

Post by NodeNode » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:15 pm

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:20 pm

NodeNode wrote:Like: https://ipfs.io/
I have no idea what that is but i guess it might be bronzeworthy

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:25 pm

t-14orbust wrote:is that why it's bronze
Hahahaha, I like it.

In WW2 it was a bad-ass award, but the professionalization of the officer corps during the cold war meant everyone who was anyone had to have one, it was/is a check-the-block patsy.

If a lower ranking soldier gets a Bronze Star, it probably means he really kicked ass in some way; he/she deserves mad respect.

If an officer gets one, it means he wasn't convicted of a felony and didn't accidentally shoot many people. He/she could deserve respect, but who knows.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:25 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
NodeNode wrote:Like: https://ipfs.io/
I have no idea what that is but i guess it might be bronzeworthy
I'd say that rates a gold star, imho.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:is that why it's bronze
Hahahaha, I like it.

In WW2 it was a bad-ass award, but the professionalization of the officer corps during the cold war meant everyone who was anyone had to have one, it was/is a check-the-block patsy.

If a lower ranking soldier gets a Bronze Star, it probably means he really kicked ass in some way; he/she deserves mad respect.

If an officer gets one, it means he wasn't convicted of a felony and didn't accidentally shoot many people. He/she could deserve respect, but who knows.
How long have you been out? I feel like this must have changed in the last few years. I'm finishing up five years and no one in my battalion has ever gotten a BS, even nonmerit. Commanders and 1SGs get MSMs if they do well, LTs and PSGs get ARCOMs. Even our outgoing S3/BN XOs didn't get BSs.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Nagster5 wrote:How long have you been out? I feel like this must have changed in the last few years. I'm finishing up five years and no one in my battalion has ever gotten a BS, even nonmerit. Commanders and 1SGs get MSMs if they do well, LTs and PSGs get ARCOMs. Even our outgoing S3/BN XOs didn't get BSs.
The Bronze Star is only awarded for "meritorious" or valorous service "in-theatre". So like, you'd get a BS for something you did in the Stan', and an MSM for something you did back in the states or whatever. Sometimes you can get an MSM in-theatre, but you can't get a BSM for non-combat related actions, however loosely "combat" may be defined.

My understanding is that the Marine Corps gives out many less BS's, I don't know if your Army or Marines.

I don't think they are handing out as many BS's for "New Dawn" and stuff in like, Jordan and everything, but I've been out of the cool-guy game for a minute.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:54 pm

Just be a high scoring pizza delivery driver to snag Yale. Or jump in freezing water on January 1st.

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:09 am

Rigo wrote:Just be a high scoring pizza delivery driver to snag Yale. Or jump in freezing water on January 1st.
Does anyone here really believe Yale is just letting in some cattle rancher from Kansas or a "gamer"?

Chain-mail maker? Lol, what are they preparing for the next crusades? Why only get a chain-mail maker and not a Blacksmith, an Apothecarie, or an Alchemist?

Rumor has it all the Vagabonds that applied this year were rejected.

As long as your last names Bush, Carnegie, Russel, Smith, or Loeb I am sure your profession is immaterial.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:11 am

My favorite is still eggplant enthusiast from another cycle.

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:15 am

Rigo wrote:My favorite is still eggplant enthusiast from another cycle.
Hahaha that is hilarious.

Wild Mushroom Forager?!?! LOL I literally just spit out my water.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:55 am

asdfdfdfadfas wrote:
Rigo wrote:Just be a high scoring pizza delivery driver to snag Yale. Or jump in freezing water on January 1st.
Does anyone here really believe Yale is just letting in some cattle rancher from Kansas or a "gamer"?

Chain-mail maker? Lol, what are they preparing for the next crusades? Why only get a chain-mail maker and not a Blacksmith, an Apothecarie, or an Alchemist?

As long as your last names Bush, Carnegie, Russel, Smith, or Loeb I am sure your profession is immaterial.
You misunderstood, he was the director of the 2015 filipino horror film. Either that or he mailed those letters from the 90s pyramid schemes.

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:19 am

Nagster5 wrote:
asdfdfdfadfas wrote:

You misunderstood, he was the director of the 2015 filipino horror film. Either that or he mailed those letters from the 90s pyramid schemes.
You are right. It was just so much more enjoyable to assume they let someone in strictly based on making chainmail.

With that being said, there are still some very interesting qualifications on there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”