Campbell law drops 22 spots in US News rankings is anyone still applying here and why Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdcumlaude

New

Campbell law drops 22 spots in US News rankings is anyone still applying here and why

Post by jdcumlaude » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:33 am

Disappointed graduate here. I just do not see a happy end to this. I worry that my degree will eventually be from a defunct law school.

My question is; Why apply to this school? The numbers do not add up. What is the motivation? I thought I would be able to make a living practicing law, and on the occasion that I have the opportunity I greatly enjoy it. However, their is simply not a market for new attorney's in NC. Are people being mislead, is this "snowflake" millennial syndrome?...I am truly at a loss.

121 in 2016 numbers....143 for 2017

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:43 am

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSDookie

New

Re: Campbell law drops 22 spots in US News rankings is anyone still applying here and why

Post by TLSDookie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:47 am

This is the case for regional schools everywhere, not just NC. The drop in rankings is a meaningless distinction, if you went to a TTT or lower school and expected your degree to have any marketability whatsoever outside of hyper-regional connections (i.e. in your case the immediate surrounding Raleigh area that can't fill their positions from UNC/WF) you were misled. You're just now realizing there is a huge over-saturation of law schools to meaningful law employment, that these school deliberately mislead applicants into thinking there is value in attending their school in order to fill their classes, and most of them should probably be de-certified.

HangingAround

Bronze

Re: Campbell law drops 22 spots in US News rankings is anyone still applying here and why

Post by HangingAround » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:01 pm

they sure know how to spin it. Issued a press release called "Campbell law returns to top tier in latest U.S. News ranking."
Last edited by HangingAround on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm

jdcumlaude wrote:Disappointed graduate here. I just do not see a happy end to this. I worry that my degree will eventually be from a defunct law school.

My question is; Why apply to this school? The numbers do not add up. What is the motivation? I thought I would be able to make a living practicing law, and on the occasion that I have the opportunity I greatly enjoy it. However, their is simply not a market for new attorney's in NC. Are people being mislead, is this "snowflake" millennial syndrome?...I am truly at a loss.

121 in 2016 numbers....143 for 2017
Sorry, OP. I really hope you can figure out a way to make it work so that this is not a completely disastrous situation for you. To your questions:
Why apply to this school?
Because a lot of people are misinformed and think a law degree is a guaranteed ticket to upper middle class living.
Are people being mislead, is this "snowflake" millennial syndrome?
Yes, I think people are being misled. Campbell Law's website talks extensively about the inputs to people's education and very little about the outputs. I spent 3 minutes on the website and I learned that they are the #8 value in private legal education according to the National Jurist (?), they've hired two new faculty members, and they've made an agreement with some Chinese University to make Campbell more "global". For the misinformed, all of these things could seem to burnish the quality of the school and make it a more reasonable place to drop $200k. They don't prominently advertise, however that only a little over half of their graduates are working as lawyers and that almost half of them are really just pairing up and hanging a shingle more than likely.

It is absolutely not the case that NC's market has no demand for new lawyers. A Duke grad who wanted to stick around wouldn't have much trouble. The problem is that the state's demand does not go deep enough to support all of the law schools operating in the state. If you oversupply a market, trouble soon follows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:There is no difference between 121 and 143

bruceaquizzer1

Bronze

Post by bruceaquizzer1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:27 pm

I applied. Not with the intention of going, but just to satisfy my dad's begging lol

jdcumlaude

New

Post by jdcumlaude » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:41 pm

The Chinese thing really bothers me. I feel like they are literally going anywhere to fill up desk space. This school is such a sad situation.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Even if they had gone up 22 spots their degree would be worthless

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jdcumlaude

New

Post by jdcumlaude » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:18 pm

eagle2a wrote:Even if they had gone up 22 spots their degree would be worthless
Totally agree

THSmith

New

Post by THSmith » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:05 pm

eagle2a wrote:Even if they had gone up 22 spots their degree would be worthless

I dodged a bullet. Decided not to go here even with a scholarship (albeit a small one). I say dodged a bullet because some friends chose to attend and from what I hear there is a slight panic among the staff about bad job numbers being released soon. Apparently some staff have been leaving/retiring. The perception being that they are jumping from a sinking ship. This is all second hand of course.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”