JD/MBA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sherlock1122

New

JD/MBA

Post by Sherlock1122 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:34 am

I'd like to pursue a JD/MBA from a top 10 school. I had a 3.9 undergrad, great leadership extracurriculars, and approx 2 years of corporate work experience. I am studying for the GMAT now and hope to score in a range to make me a competitive candidate. I heard a horror story of a student who planned to do the same, scored a near perfect GMAT score, and was rejected from the business school after his 1L year b/c he didn't have enough work experience. Does anyone know more about this process? I was always under the impression that the schools would work with you to make it happen assuming you had the stats. Earning both a JD/MBA is extremely important to me (please no lectures on why it is a waste to get both) Any insight is appreciated.

Budfox55

Bronze

Re: JD/MBA

Post by Budfox55 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:29 am

For MBAs, W/E>>>>>>GMAT/GPA. Not sure how the process works for JD/MBAs. Maybe they will count 1 year at law school as one year of good work experience, but not sure. Also the GMAT is an easy test, and much easier than the LSAT. Many people do extremely well. Even if you fall into the 25th percentile or less of GMAT scores for a school, really good work experience can easily get you accepted. I went to an Ivy, so a little bit of a caveat, but I know people with 3.3s and 3.4s who were accepted to top business schools with median or below median GMAT scores because they had really good work experience (typically 2 yrs IB + 1-2 yrs PE, consulting for MBB, working for top tech firms like google or apple for a few years, or started their own businesses that actually got some sort of VC funding). What do you mean by 2 years of corporate work experience? If you mean back office or some sort of operations/support role, that won't look good. Again, this is for regular MBA admissions and have no idea how the admissions committee at business schools look at JD/MBA applicants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”