WUSTL ED vs. Other Schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fredfred

Bronze

Re: WUSTL ED vs. Other Schools?

Post by fredfred » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Rigo wrote:Why WUSTL over the ED fully at BU, if you love Boston so much?
b/c a 3.5 165 isn't gonna get in BU ED

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:39 pm

fredfred wrote:
Rigo wrote:Why WUSTL over the ED fully at BU, if you love Boston so much?
b/c a 3.5 165 isn't gonna get in BU ED
More likely than WUSTL ED.

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:43 pm

I don't understand some of the "advice" here. Hey, do we all think OP should retake if given the right situation? Sure. But I'm sure OP already knows that. Someone just has to click on ANY post on TLS to see the "advice" retake. So how about we actually answer the damn question, or at least try? If I were you, and I absolutely had to apply with your stats, I would go ahead and ED WUSTL. The great thing is that you are guaranteed a two-week decision. So if you don't get it, you can still ED other schools in your list that offer full scholarship, such as GWU (not really ED, but their full scholarship+ stipends is binding as well).

Also, to say WUSTL gives you NO REASONABLE shot at biglaw is just blatantly false. Is it Columbia or NYU? No. Is it even Cornell or Georgetown? No. But WUSTL sends its fair share of graduates into biglaw, so to label them as a TTT is just so "T14 of bust" TLS mindset. In an ideal world, we would all be taking three LSATs and scoring 170+ by the third time, but that just doesn't happen, and there has to be places for people (such as OP) who may be just as motivated and intellectual as the higher scorers, but are applying with lower stats. Just about every school OP mentioned (except for Villanova, Temple, and maybe UC Davis and Irvine) are schools that are not "out of reason" to attend for someone with those stats and biglaw aspirations.

Just to clarify, I do agree that retaking after thorough preparation would be best. But if you do apply this cycle, don't be discouraged by some of the things you see here. It's all percentages, and while going to WUSTL (and many of the other schools you mentioned not named Cornell) may not give you a "great" shot at biglaw, they have respectable enough biglaw outcomes that they shouldn't be treated like diploma windmills.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm actually gonna disagree. I'm actually in agreement that retake isn't the universal answer for everyone, but it is for this guy. His career priorities basically demand it. He quite clearly would like biglaw, which isn't gonna happen from those schools, then he wants environmental law, which is basically imaginary, then he wants personal injury law, which for 98% of lawyers pays less than he could likely earn by not going to law school. Also I'm biased as someone who needed three takes, is damn glad I didn't give up, and got everything I wanted for doing so.

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Clearly wrote:I'm actually gonna disagree. I'm actually in agreement that retake isn't the universal answer for everyone, but it is for this guy. His career priorities basically demand it. He quite clearly would like biglaw, which isn't gonna happen from those schools, then he wants environmental law, which is basically imaginary, then he wants personal injury law, which for 98% of lawyers pays less than he could likely earn by not going to law school. Also I'm biased as someone who needed three takes, is damn glad I didn't give up, and got everything I wanted for doing so.
But I never disagreed that he should retake. You're right, if the best chance at biglaw is the only goal, then retake is the best option. But say OP decides to go through the cycle anyways, shouldn't an online forum on law schools actually help him with some information or opinions rather than what anybody knows, which is retake - get higher lsat score - higher chances/more scholarships.

Also, I disagree with your statement that biglaw isn't gonna happen from these schools. So are the 20~35% of graduates getting biglaw from these schools somehow getting their T14 degrees on the side? As I said, no need to tell me or OP how much lower your chances are at these schools compared to some of the higher ranked schools, but that doesn't mean these schools give you no shot at biglaw. I agree, retake is the best suggestion. But that's what it should be, a suggestion, and it shouldn't stop him from getting information about these other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Last edited by Clearly on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamapipersson

New

Post by iamapipersson » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:39 pm

edited

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”