REMOVED Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rfhassan

New

REMOVED

Post by rfhassan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:48 pm

REMOVED
Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crumb cake

Bronze

Re: Should I write an LSAT Addendum?

Post by crumb cake » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Don't write an addendum. Your highest score is really all that matters, and an addendum will not change the way a school assesses your scores.

stig2014

Bronze

Post by stig2014 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Similar question regarding an LSAT addendum. Some schools ask for them if there is a certain gap between multiple scores, is it still best to not write an addendum in these situations? Thanks.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:31 pm

stig2014 wrote:Similar question regarding an LSAT addendum. Some schools ask for them if there is a certain gap between multiple scores, is it still best to not write an addendum in these situations? Thanks.
I have never heard of that, but if it's in the application instructions then you should include one.

lunixer

Bronze

Post by lunixer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:53 am

Last edited by lunixer on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:01 pm

lunixer wrote:
stig2014 wrote:Similar question regarding an LSAT addendum. Some schools ask for them if there is a certain gap between multiple scores, is it still best to not write an addendum in these situations? Thanks.
I had been wondering about this too. My scores were dramatically different: 165 -> 170 -> 178. I've had conflicting advice. Some say don't write it, they don't want to see it. But the schools say that you should write one if your scores are inconsistent, which mine obviously are.
Was it in progression like that? Like 165 on the first exam, 170 on second, 178 on third? Because if so, I imagine that'd be very, very, very easy to explain. You usually don't need explanations for your lsat or gpa vastly improving. :mrgreen:

rfhassan

New

REMOVED

Post by rfhassan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:06 pm

REMOVED
Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:10 pm

rfhassan wrote:
Troianii wrote:
lunixer wrote:
I had been wondering about this too. My scores were dramatically different: 165 -> 170 -> 178. I've had conflicting advice. Some say don't write it, they don't want to see it. But the schools say that you should write one if your scores are inconsistent, which mine obviously are.
Was it in progression like that? Like 165 on the first exam, 170 on second, 178 on third? Because if so, I imagine that'd be very, very, very easy to explain. You usually don't need explanations for your lsat or gpa vastly improving. :mrgreen:
What about in my case (161->159->168) where I decreased on my 2nd take but greatly improved on my 3rd?
Well in all reality you could write an addendum and it wouldn't hurt, but generally speaking I don't think it's necessary. If you have a good reason why your initial scores were lower, then go ahead - it couldn't hurt. But generally speaking, again, they're not gonna care if you "only" scored a 159 because you just had a death in the family and were overworked, or if it was just because you were drunk. It can't hurt to write an addendum - you'll know the explanation - but don't overdo it. Do a paragraph.

lunixer

Bronze

Post by lunixer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:48 pm

You should lean towards not submitting an addendum unless you have something useful to say (hint, you probably do not have anything useful to say).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=255632

Pay attention specifically to Sivey's comments.

lunixer

Bronze

Post by lunixer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:55 pm

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:20 pm

lunixer wrote:Oddly, my consultant completely disagrees with both of you. I'm going to have to ask them what their reasoning is because your logic makes sense to me.

EDIT: I do trust this person's experience and believe that their opinion is expert. I did not go with a cut-rate consultant.
It can't hurt, but I wouldn't expect it to make any difference. Suppose you were sick - well, how often do you think adcoms read that, "I took three tests, but didn't do as well on the first two for no specific reason"? There's always some reason, and in probably 90+% of the cases, they've heard it before. "I was sick", "family member just died", "I wasn't as well prepared", "I just went through a break up", "I wasn't focused"... whatever your reason, chances are its run of the mill and won't sway an adcom - at all. And, again, as others have already said, schools only report the highest LSAT score to LSAC and, given that schools are basically ranking wh***s, your other lower scores won't matter.

It won't exactly hurt you, imo it pretty much doesn't matter - I assume your reasons are fairly typical. Just don't stress about it, and be laconic in your explanation: if you can explain yourself in a paragraph, good. If you can explain it in three sentences, better.

lunixer

Bronze

Post by lunixer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”