Deferral/Reapplying? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ihenry

Silver

Deferral/Reapplying?

Post by ihenry » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 am

I'm still undecided about when to attend law school - so much financial/non-financial calculation to do (more complicated than usual applicants). My current strategy is making a list of three to four reach and target schools based on LSAT and apply only to them this year. If any one of them knocks and I worked out that I should attend next next year, I will ask for deferral. If they don't, I will try to piece together a stronger application (retake LSAT with more WE) and reapply in the next cycle.

My questions are:

1) In the case of me asking for deferral for the reason of gaining work experience (tech, not legal related), what are the odds of being approved?

2) In the case of reapplying, because my LoRs are almost ready, can I just reuse them in the next cycle? Do they need to be resubmitted? Those are from my former professors/supervisors and it's natural that they don't need to amend them after I leave school. And will I be able to use new PS's?

TYIA.

landshoes

Silver

Re: Deferral/Reapplying?

Post by landshoes » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:20 am

You can reuse you LORs and your profs don't have to resubmit. Just apply for real, though.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 am

landshoes wrote:You can reuse you LORs and your profs don't have to resubmit. Just apply for real, though.
Yeah I won't blow application dollars for no reason. Depending on my family's financial situation and how much I like about the job, there's solid chance I will attend if my target schools accept me. :|

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:40 am

Not applying to a wide range of schools screws your ability to negotiate. You also need a new PS if you reapply to the same schools--it's easily the hardest part of the actual application.

Ask at least a few safety schools for fee waivers and apply so you can use them to negotiate. I have a great outcome but I regret not applying even more widely than I did.

debdeb2

New

Post by debdeb2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:54 pm

depends on the school, but some are allowing deferrals, esp. for work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”