Must retake in Dec- when to apply?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
margoann2016

New

Must retake in Dec- when to apply??

Post by margoann2016 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:50 pm

I took the June LSAT and scored a 166. I currently have a 166, 3.69 with the goal of practicing PI law somewhere in the midwest/south. My top choice is ND because of connections and PI focus, second choice WUSTL. I am not looking to go to a T14 (although I might apply to NU or Duke), but I would like to go to a decently ranked school with the most scholarship $$ possible.

I exclusively studied for a month and was PTing around 165-170. I planned on retaking in October to try to get as high a score as possible to maximize $$$ potential, but I recently found out that all of the LSAT centers in Boston are already filled up for October (I'm in college and don't have a car to drive to other test centers), so I'll have to retake in December.

My question is- should I go ahead and send my applications in the fall with my 166 LSAT, retake the LSAT in December, and send the schools an updated score? Or should I hold off sending my applications until after I get my Dec score? I want to apply early to maximize my scholarship opportunities, but I'm not sure if applying with a 166 would hurt me in any way.

Thanks for your help!!

rnoodles

Platinum

Re: Must retake in Dec- when to apply??

Post by rnoodles » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Sure, but let them know you plan to retake.

margoann2016

New

Post by margoann2016 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:53 am

Thank you rnoodles22!

If I let the schools know that I plan to retake, will they hold off reviewing my application until after they get the Dec score, thus putting me much later in the cycle? While my Dec score hopefully will be a few points higher, I still wanted to apply early in the cycle to have the potential for as much $$ as possible. Is this not possible now that I have to take the Dec test?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:13 am

Send your apps to ND and WUSTL with your current score. Your stats are good enough to get accepted so the retake will be for more $$$. They may hold your app, but I doubt they will since you're not borderline.

admitmenowplzkthxbai

New

Post by admitmenowplzkthxbai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Just wondering, but what's the point of submitting your application before you have your final LSAT score/an LSAT score at all? Isn't it true that law schools still won't review your app until they have said LSAT score?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:21 pm

margoann2016 wrote:Thank you rnoodles22!

If I let the schools know that I plan to retake, will they hold off reviewing my application until after they get the Dec score, thus putting me much later in the cycle? While my Dec score hopefully will be a few points higher, I still wanted to apply early in the cycle to have the potential for as much $$ as possible. Is this not possible now that I have to take the Dec test?
admitmenowplzkthxbai wrote:Just wondering, but what's the point of submitting your application before you have your final LSAT score/an LSAT score at all? Isn't it true that law schools still won't review your app until they have said LSAT score?
Some schools explicitly say this in your app/admissions websites: if you contact admissions and let them know that you're retaking, but want them to consider your application as is, they can do so. It may result in a denial, likely a waitlist to see your new score, or if you're strong enough, an acceptance with an improvement in your score garnering an increased scholarship offer. As far as before you have an LSAT, I don't know the point of that. They will simply hold until you do have one (also I'm not even sure if LSAC will transmit without an LSAT score).

admitmenowplzkthxbai

New

Post by admitmenowplzkthxbai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:26 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
margoann2016 wrote:Thank you rnoodles22!

admitmenowplzkthxbai wrote:Just wondering, but what's the point of submitting your application before you have your final LSAT score/an LSAT score at all? Isn't it true that law schools still won't review your app until they have said LSAT score?
Some schools explicitly say this in your app/admissions websites: if you contact admissions and let them know that you're retaking, but want them to consider your application as is, they can do so. It may result in a denial, likely a waitlist to see your new score, or if you're strong enough, an acceptance with an improvement in your score garnering an increased scholarship offer. As far as before you have an LSAT, I don't know the point of that. They will simply hold until you do have one (also I'm not even sure if LSAC will transmit without an LSAT score).
Thanks! This was helpful. Sorry to hijack the thread :)

margoann2016

New

Post by margoann2016 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:06 pm

So helpful!! Thank you all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”