Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence??? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ms2dai

New

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Post by ms2dai » Thu May 07, 2015 7:56 am

They aren't going to tell you why you were denied. It's too much effort for them and would make people more likely to complain/argue/sue.
ms2dai wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?
God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...

No it's not but they did reach out and say how great it was. It's actually unranked but they say that doesn't matter.
How does a school thinking it's great at all indicate that it's a good idea to go to law school there? Not even the worst TTTT is going to send an email saying "We're awful, but you should apply anyway." Look at Cooley. It ranks itself #2.[/quote]

That's a bummer but as others mentioned I know what I need to do. It would have been nice to know what changed in the span of a week though.

Very true ... every school is a winner and should be the number one choice ... what else would they say.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu May 07, 2015 9:16 am

ms2dai wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.
Denial letters aren't usually personalized. It's just a form letter.

Besides, you know what to do. You don't need them to spell it out for you. If you're getting WL'd by T2 schools, it means your numbers aren't very strong. Don't spend your energy trying to read tea leaves; spend it on studying for an LSAT retake.
You're right. I may have to end up doing that.
Good luck. Keep in mind, too, that unless you have the GI Bill or rich relatives, your goal shouldn't be just to get admitted. You really need a large scholarship to make law school worth it these days, even at good schools. If you're aiming at the TTT, you really shouldn't go without a full ride. You don't need to be trying to pay off 200,000 in loans when you're making 40k to start.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu May 07, 2015 10:20 am

The problem is that your "dream" probably involves working as a lawyer, and the schools you're looking at don't even give you a good shot at doing just that.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Thu May 07, 2015 3:14 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Thu May 07, 2015 5:13 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:The problem is that your "dream" probably involves working as a lawyer, and the schools you're looking at don't even give you a good shot at doing just that.
+1
TheSpanishMain wrote:Good luck. Keep in mind, too, that unless you have the GI Bill or rich relatives, your goal shouldn't be just to get admitted. You really need a large scholarship to make law school worth it these days, even at good schools. If you're aiming at the TTT, you really shouldn't go without a full ride. You don't need to be trying to pay off 200,000 in loans when you're making 40k to start.
parent/family money still counts...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu May 07, 2015 5:52 pm

strugglebus wrote: parent/family money still counts...
Yeah, if someone's parents are tapping their pension to send you to University of ShitLaw, then that's obviously awful. I'm talking about wealthy people for whom 200k is a drop in the bucket. It's still not a smart decision by any means, but at least no one's life would be ruined.

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Fri May 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in
Disagree

There are a few competent lower T2s like
UNewMexico with low LSAT/GPA reqs but great placement and community involvement.

Or Texas Tech if West Texas is your thing

Oklahoma

Nebraska

etc etc.

Granted I attended a 15-30 but I also had a significant instate advantage that some states don't have.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 08, 2015 6:26 pm

true I would exclude state flagships if they want to work in that state and have ties, the problem with T2 or whatever is that there's so many dogshit schools included in that vague term so it would be better if OP just said the schools

ms2dai

New

Post by ms2dai » Sun May 10, 2015 11:57 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.
Denial letters aren't usually personalized. It's just a form letter.

Besides, you know what to do. You don't need them to spell it out for you. If you're getting WL'd by T2 schools, it means your numbers aren't very strong. Don't spend your energy trying to read tea leaves; spend it on studying for an LSAT retake.
You're right. I may have to end up doing that.
Good luck. Keep in mind, too, that unless you have the GI Bill or rich relatives, your goal shouldn't be just to get admitted. You really need a large scholarship to make law school worth it these days, even at good schools. If you're aiming at the TTT, you really shouldn't go without a full ride. You don't need to be trying to pay off 200,000 in loans when you're making 40k to start.
Thanks makes sense. The letter came and is not personalized like you said.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ms2dai

New

Post by ms2dai » Sun May 10, 2015 11:57 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:true I would exclude state flagships if they want to work in that state and have ties, the problem with T2 or whatever is that there's so many dogshit schools included in that vague term so it would be better if OP just said the schools
I was talking about WVU

ms2dai

New

Post by ms2dai » Sun May 10, 2015 11:58 am

FullRamboLSGrad wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in
Disagree

UNewMexico with low LSAT/GPA reqs but great placement and community involvement.

Oklahoma

Nebraska

etc etc.

Granted I attended a 15-30 but I also had a significant instate advantage that some states don't have.
Never thought about the options you mentioned ... might be worth looking into.

ms2dai

New

Post by ms2dai » Sun May 10, 2015 12:00 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:The problem is that your "dream" probably involves working as a lawyer, and the schools you're looking at don't even give you a good shot at doing just that.
Hmm ... guess I need to take a deeper look at LST

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 10, 2015 12:35 pm

ms2dai wrote:
FullRamboLSGrad wrote:
Disagree

Oklahoma

Nebraska

etc etc.

Never thought about the options you mentioned ... might be worth looking into.
The first thing to do is think about what you want to do with a law degree and where you want to do it. If you're looking at WVU, I'm presuming you don't live in NM/Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska. Those are perfectly decent schools, if you want to live and work in their respective regions, and ideally if you have some connection to the area. If you want to move back to WV (if you live there now) or live in some other part of the country, those schools shouldn't be at the top of your list.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”