Work experience question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tskela

Bronze

Work experience question

Post by tskela » Tue May 05, 2015 10:00 am

Last edited by tskela on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Re: Work experience question

Post by Cobretti » Tue May 05, 2015 1:56 pm

You would count as 1 yr work experience. Your numbers are competitive for ED at NU too so go for it.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue May 05, 2015 5:05 pm

It all counts as work experience, but it won't really matter for LS admissions. Your LSAT and UG GPA are like, 90% of the admissions picture, with everything else making up the other 10%. That being said, it will be a nice line on your resume when you actually start applying for jobs. Firms seem to like people that worked during UG from what I can gather.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:It all counts as work experience, but it won't really matter for LS admissions. Your LSAT and UG GPA are like, 90% of the admissions picture, with everything else making up the other 10%. That being said, it will be a nice line on your resume when you actually start applying for jobs. Firms seem to like people that worked during UG from what I can gather.
This is technically true, but a little shortsighted. Getting into LS is not the endgame. If you pick up a year (hey, maybe even two) of WE, that'll help you with applying for summer jobs, internships, clinics, etc. While not true for all, those who go "straight through" can find it hard to distinguish themselves from everyone else unless they had a particularly unique UG experience. I found my WE invaluable, and now that I'm thinking about it, during my 3 years of law school (including the post-grad placement I have), I was never turned down for a job after an interview.

The point here is to put yourself in the best position to get into a good LS and to get a FTLT job after.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue May 05, 2015 5:17 pm

sd5289 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:It all counts as work experience, but it won't really matter for LS admissions. Your LSAT and UG GPA are like, 90% of the admissions picture, with everything else making up the other 10%. That being said, it will be a nice line on your resume when you actually start applying for jobs. Firms seem to like people that worked during UG from what I can gather.
This is technically true, but a little shortsighted. Getting into LS is not the endgame. If you pick up a year (hey, maybe even two) of WE, that'll help you with applying for summer jobs, internships, clinics, etc. While not true for all, those who go "straight through" can find it hard to distinguish themselves from everyone else unless they had a particularly unique UG experience. I found my WE invaluable, and now that I'm thinking about it, during my 3 years of law school (including the post-grad placement I have), I was never turned down for a job after an interview.

The point here is to put yourself in the best position to get into a good LS and to get a FTLT job after.
Dude seriously? For one, that's exactly what I alluded to, you just did it in a more long winded fashion. And two, OP was asking specifically for law school admissions in the law school admissions forum. If OP wanted advice on WE, s/he would have asked.

Congrats on being so awesome and all, but that wasn't what was asked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:24 pm

The thread's about WE, so I'm not sure why you got so worked up over my response. Apologies that I didn't see your line about one's resume, but I didn't read your post as saying WE really mattered that much (had a very long/bad night last night, so I may have misread it).

And I posted what I did not to be an asshole, but to demonstrate that WE can be incredibly helpful. There are a number of ways 0L's can make themselves more competitive prior to entering law school that they just can't do once they've started. I think it makes far more sense to spend the # of years necessary to do that rather than running into law school and then getting to the end of it without a job. I know far too many people in my graduating class that are in this boat right now.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue May 05, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm not worked up, but you called my post short sighted when it seems like you may not have even read what OP was asking, which was about how his WE will be viewed when applying to schools.

For the record, we are in agreement. I had several years of WE before LS and it has helped for sure, but again, that has nothing to do with what was being asked. I'll stop derailing OP's thread now.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 pm

I appreciate the responses guys. Thanks for the input. I was asking specifically for law school admissions but of course it's nice to know undergrad work experience could help me further down the line :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”