Foreign Transcript Evaluation Delay Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
krabi

New

Foreign Transcript Evaluation Delay

Post by krabi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 pm

I went to a junior college overseas before I finished my BS in the US. LSAC transcript service took well over two weeks after receiving my transcript to send me an email stating "no degree information on transcript". Your transcript evaluation is suspended until a degree certificate is submitted. My explanation: it was only a junior college. No degree was conferred. Called to explain my situation. They now understand and informs me that it will take them another 10 business days to evaluate the transcript. Given the fast approaching deadline for the CAS report (to complete the application), is there anyway to expedite this process? How would one ask for an extension of deadline from law school?

Vgb22

New

Re: Foreign Transcript Evaluation Delay

Post by Vgb22 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:02 pm

So something similar happened to me this past year. I had requested my transcript for my Masters (overseas) in December, but they took over four months to send it out, which is far past the deadline for applications that I had already submitted. Most of the law schools I applied to did not even look at my application because it was incomplete without my Masters transcript. I made several phone calls, left messages, and wrote emails to both the LSAC and my overseas University regarding the situation over those four months and neither would budge.

I was a bit embarrassed and felt like it could hurt my application if I informed the law schools that there was an extended delay, but then realized that it is much better for them to be informed that any delay regarding a transcript is being worked on diligently and that they are informed of the circumstances. Tell them what you are doing to resolve the issue. Ask them if they can move forward, or what you can do meanwhile to help. Keep it informative, brief, and respectful. Do not blame, but inform and prove. For example, if it is the fault of your previous campus, maybe attach past correspondence regarding your efforts in obtaining your transcript. In my case, the four plus long battle, I did exactly that with one law school in particular because instead of saying it was someone else's fault, I wanted to show that I was doing everything in my power to fix the situation (that law school eventually accepted me). It can be a fine line between annoying a university and keeping them informed, but it is one that when respected can save you.

Though most schools still did not review my application upon finding out the circumstances of my delayed transcript, many of them responded to me when I told them what was happening regarding my application. The ones who responded were those who wait listed my application, and a few others I still have not heard from.

I am hoping your problem got/gets solved, and that this helps you somehow.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”