Waitlisted, retake dilemma Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Post Reply
bryang91

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by bryang91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 am

Hey guys, waitlisted at my two top choices. Actually a pleasant surprise; I was expecting to get rejected at one or the other because I sent in my application in like March, my GPA is absolutely abysmal and way below median, and my LSAT slightly below. I took the Dec. LSAT, but panicked on the LG section and ended up doing badly. I retook it in February but did the same thing and ended up cancelling. I'm registered for the June LSAT but wondering if I should withdraw. I'm PT-ing OK and I don't think it's possible for me to go below my December score, but it's very much a high-risk high-reward situation. Best case scenario, I do a lot better and get off at least one of the waitlists. Worst case scenario, I do poorly and I'm in an even more precarious situation, because a good LSAT is really my only chance to make up for such a poor GPA.

In Dec., I dropped about 5 points from where I was PTing. If I do the same this time around, then I'll only improve my LSAT score by 3 points. Would that be worth it?
Last edited by bryang91 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:55 am

bryang91 wrote:Hey guys, waitlisted at my two top choices. Have no idea how this happened because I sent in my application in like March, my GPA is absolutely abysmal and way below median, and my LSAT slightly below. I took the Dec. LSAT, but panicked on the LG section and ended up doing badly. I retook it in February but did the same thing and ended up cancelling. I'm registered for the June LSAT but wondering if I should withdraw. I'm PT-ing OK and I don't think it's possible for me to go below my December score, but it's very much a high-risk high-reward situation. Best case scenario, I do a lot better and get off at least one of the waitlists. Worst case scenario, I do poorly and I'm in an even more precarious situation, because a good LSAT is really my only chance to make up for such a poor GPA.

In Dec., I dropped about 5 points from where I was PTing. If I do the same this time around, then I'll only improve my LSAT score by 3 points. Would that be worth it?
So you have an awful GPA, below median LSAT, sent your applications in March and don't know how you got waitlisted?

03152016

Platinum
Posts: 9180
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:24 am

You sent your app in way too late and with numbers below medians. That's why you were waitlisted.

If you took in December and February and you are not adequately prepared for the June take, withdraw. This will be your third take, so you'll be locked out until December 2015. I'd start looking at September if I were you.

bryang91

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by bryang91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:27 am

PDX4343 wrote:

So you have an awful GPA, below median LSAT, sent your applications in March and don't know how you got waitlisted?
I was definitely surprised. I'm guessing they liked the personal statement, because almost everything else was against me.

I'm wondering, too, if they waitlisted me because they knew I was retaking the LSAT in June, and maybe they wanted to see if I would do better. If that's the case, then I might be in an even worse position next cycle if I applied to these schools with three mediocre LSAT scores, with no chance to improve on them.

bryang91

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by bryang91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:31 am

Max324 wrote:You sent your app in way too late and with numbers below medians. That's why you were waitlisted.
If that's the case, then wouldn't taking it in June be a good idea? I can always send in my applications on the first day next cycle, and maybe that will get me in even if I don't improve on the LSAT. And if I do really well in June, maybe there's a chance I get off the waitlist.

Anyway, I'm very much undecided and appreciate the advice. This is a big decision I'm about to make and I need all the help I can get.

03152016

Platinum
Posts: 9180
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:34 am

bryang91 wrote:
Max324 wrote:You sent your app in way too late and with numbers below medians. That's why you were waitlisted.
If that's the case, then wouldn't taking it in June be a good idea? I can always send in my applications on the first day next cycle, and maybe that will get me in even if I don't improve on the LSAT. And if I do really well in June, maybe there's a chance I get off the waitlist.

Anyway, I'm very much undecided and appreciate the advice. This is a big decision I'm about to make and I need all the help I can get.
If you're really prepped now, sure, taking it would be fine. But if you think you can eke out a few more points between now and the end of September, I recommend holding off. The advantage from a few extra points far outweighs the advantage from sending out the app in September vs October.

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:37 am

bryang91 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:

So you have an awful GPA, below median LSAT, sent your applications in March and don't know how you got waitlisted?
I was definitely surprised. I'm guessing they liked the personal statement, because almost everything else was against me.

I'm wondering, too, if they waitlisted me because they knew I was retaking the LSAT in June, and maybe they wanted to see if I would do better. If that's the case, then I might be in an even worse position next cycle if I applied to these schools with three mediocre LSAT scores, with no chance to improve on them.
Oh, Okay I thought you were expecting an acceptance with that combo. lol.
I need to get off the internet.

03152016

Platinum
Posts: 9180
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 am

PDX4343 wrote:Oh, Okay I thought you were expecting an acceptance with that combo. lol.
I need to get off the internet.
Lol that's what I thought too. Kind of suspected troll.

bryang91

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Waitlisted, retake dilemma

Post by bryang91 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:54 am

Max324 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:Oh, Okay I thought you were expecting an acceptance with that combo. lol.
I need to get off the internet.
Lol that's what I thought too. Kind of suspected troll.
Oh, I see where the confusion is ... just to reiterate, I'm shocked I was waitlisted at both schools instead of outright rejected ... given my numbers, I would have to be crazy to have expected an acceptance!

Post Reply

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”