How long should I wait? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mizzou

New

How long should I wait?

Post by Mizzou » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:35 am

Anyone care to share how long a wait they had between application and hearing acceptance or rejection? My app was received one month ago today, although I have to consider Spring Break was in that time frame. I did visit in January and met with Dean of Admissions; had a great visit.

My alma mater accepted me with a huge scholarship (my law school tuition will be about 2/3 of what my high school tuition was), so I paid the non refundable deposit to hold the seat and the scholarship, but Alabama is my first choice. I've got to sign a lease pretty soon if I'm staying in Columbia, probably this week, as the housing here is a nightmare.

Not sure what to do. If I sign the lease tomorrow, I have three days to back out w/of penalty, which gives me until Friday. I'm hoping for the phone call saying I'm in before then, or at least an update on the website posting my rejection. Is it rushing the process to expect a decision by the end of this week, which would make it nearly five weeks?

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Re: How long should I wait?

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 am

Mizzou wrote:Anyone care to share how long a wait they had between application and hearing acceptance or rejection? My app was received one month ago today, although I have to consider Spring Break was in that time frame. I did visit in January and met with Dean of Admissions; had a great visit.

My alma mater accepted me with a huge scholarship (my law school tuition will be about 2/3 of what my high school tuition was), so I paid the non refundable deposit to hold the seat and the scholarship, but Alabama is my first choice. I've got to sign a lease pretty soon if I'm staying in Columbia, probably this week, as the housing here is a nightmare.

Not sure what to do. If I sign the lease tomorrow, I have three days to back out w/of penalty, which gives me until Friday. I'm hoping for the phone call saying I'm in before then, or at least an update on the website posting my rejection. Is it rushing the process to expect a decision by the end of this week, which would make it nearly five weeks?
I'm not trying to be mean, but most people have waited much much longer than 4 weeks to hear back from schools. Generally, if you want to have a lot of time to weigh your options you need to apply before Thanksgiving. I waited 4 months for the school I am attending. Applying late in the cycle makes things more unpredictable with timetables.

There are some really good posters on TLS that may be able to give you better advice, but I wouldn't bank on hearing back from Alabama in the next few days just because you need them to for housing issues.

Pure Protein

New

Post by Pure Protein » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 am

Last edited by Pure Protein on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:52 am

Some ppl on tls have been waiting 6+ months to hear from schools.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mizzou

New

Post by Mizzou » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. I appreciate the feedback very much. I heard from Georgia in three weeks, and although I didn't make the cut, the decision was fast. I was hoping AL might follow that pattern. I guess I'll have to decide if I want to wait for AL and risk housing that's not so great or go for the scholarship and sure thing.

Thanks again for the responses!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:06 pm

You might consider reapplying early next cycle if you don't end up with great options. It can have a pretty large effect on your results.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”