On the Topic of Jobs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
craigdowney

New

On the Topic of Jobs

Post by craigdowney » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:52 pm

I was speaking to an attorney and a recent graduate and both said that, while the legal market is available, there are jobs. The problem is that most people out of school have so much debt that it isn't feasible for them to take those jobs. The jobs available pay too little for them to actually pay of their loans.

TL;DR People graduate with debt. There are available jobs, but they pay too little for graduates to feasibly accept. True/false?

moonman157

Silver

Re: On the Topic of Jobs

Post by moonman157 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Well it's true that a lot of people take on way more debt than they can service with most jobs, but the problem isn't that people with a tremendous amount of debt are getting job offers but have to turn them down in order to find something higher-paying. The problem is that people with a tremendous amount of debt aren't getting job offers at all. We're still at roughly 2 law school graduates for every legal job available to graduates; those who get a full-time legal job (regardless of how much it pays) are still the lucky ones.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:07 pm

There was a 10k/year plus monthly metro pass entry-level job posted a few years back. Is that what you're talking about? You'd do better folding sweaters at Anthro.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:21 pm

I would say yes and no. For TTTT, no, as above poster has indicated there aren't enough small firms and low level gov to employ every single law school grad. But for most people on this site, there will be extremely low paying options if they look for them. The economy is improving and small firms are thinking of expanding. I know people from my school have turned down offers of 40k. More likely they don't even apply to firms who pay associates that level... Who can blame them? 100k+ debt to work at a shit firm/business that offers no advancement and 40k a year?

The problem is there aren't nearly enough high paying jobs to pay back the loans.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:11 pm

There's nothing wrong with the best students getting the high paying jobs and everyone else fights for the rest.

The problem is that Barry charges as much as Harvard.

This is pretty well documented, and there will probably be a market adjustment eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”