Working a job to spice up my application Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
santoki

Silver

Working a job to spice up my application

Post by santoki » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:37 am

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working as a paralegal at a small firm and plan to take the LSAT in June and apply this fall-presumably working until I actually go to school. My main priority in working is to both occupy myself, save some tuition money, and make my application more attractive (most important factor).

My current job pays little (~35), has decent benefits, a few coworkers that make the environment horrendous, and periods of little to no work at all at which point I am twiddling my thumbs and posting on TLS (e.g. right now). It's making me look into other paralegal openings, but I've only been working here for around 5 months.

Do you think it would reflect poorly on my application if I changed my job after a short period of time? How would it make me look better/worse? I'm somewhat unhappy at this job, so I'm hoping to find something better.

Years ago this may have been less relevant but I have been reading that work experience is becoming more of a factor than ever before.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks in advance!

haus

Gold

Re: Working a job to spice up my application

Post by haus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:57 am

Having done a fair bit of hiring (in tech field), I have spent a fair amount of time looking at resumes. Having stayed at a job for well less than a year would catch my eye as an oddity. It is hard to imagine how it could help, but it can be naturalized. If you find and take another job, be prepared to pitch it as taking an opportunity that is getting you closer to some goal (this is harder to pull off if your plans actually have you bailing out on the later job for something like school, but it is not impossible).

Good luck,

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Last edited by swampman on Fri May 16, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:37 pm

swampman wrote:Switching jobs will not look great. One of the main benefits of work experience is learning that the daily reality of work ranges from tedious to absolutely miserable, and if you're lucky there will be some redeeming and interesting projects thrown in every now and then. Switching jobs often (unless it is a clear step up) suggests to schools and firms that you have not learned this lesson.

Use the slow periods at work to study for the LSAT as long as this won't get you fired.

(Honestly though, this probably won't make or break an application. If you want to take your chances on another paralegal job, go for it. It probably won't be better though, and may well be worse.)
Thanks for your reply- I actually just started solving LR questions throughout the day yesterday. It's a good way to get more studying in, but having to bill hours but getting no work to bill for is just a stressful thing. When I was hired I was told I'd be swamped day in and day out, but I'm left trying to look busy.

You're right though, I would agree that it's best to show loyalty to a job instead of switching around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”