Full Ride or wait.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DportIA

Bronze

Re: Full Ride or wait..

Post by DportIA » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Dude if you crack 160s as a URM you are looking at Tier 1 full scholarships.

There is a huge opportunity cost to going to Charlotte, namely, that your JD can never come from a good/great school. You will always wear it around your neck.

Tuxedo

New

Post by Tuxedo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Knp wrote:So going to school debt free at Charlotte isn't worth it to everyone here?
You'd be debt-free, but you can pay back debt. You can't pay yourself back 3 years of attendance at this horrible, horrible school. Please do the right thing and retake. A year between college and law school isn't bad at all, and you might even get to make some money. Even if you did absolutely nothing but study again for the LSAT, you'd still have used the year more profitably than you would have attending Charlotte.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 pm

URM? :shock:

JFC, dude, retake and go to Harvard. For real, it's not out of reach.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Knp wrote:
banjo wrote:I tutored the LSAT off and on before law school. I saw plenty of 15x people retake with tremendous success. It pretty much transforms your career and quality of life.

Did you see people have the same or a drop in score? Does that tend to hurt them drastically?
I wouldn't have been doing my job if people's scores dropped. Some people retook, improved ~10 pts, and studied for a third time on their own (and improved again!).

Multiple scores do not hurt at all. In fact, law schools haven't averaged scores in over 8 years. I don't know why some schools just leave wrong information on their web sites.

ZGr88n

Bronze

Post by ZGr88n » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Knp wrote:I will update you all as I hear back from schools, part of the reason it could be taking so long is my mediocre LSAT score paired with my GPA, and underrepresented minority status.

I graduate from South Carolina undergrad in May and my plan was to attend law school in the fall, but now I guess there are more options for me before law school. I do see the value in a legal internship before legal education, but haven't been able to land one (i have been trying to get one for this summer).

I will wait to withdraw my apps, I still have faith in my GPA, LORs and PS. I may just surprise you all (yay for dropping LSAT medians)
WOAH! You didn't even say that you were a URM. Seriously man, retake is the only option here. With your GPA and URM status, if you get into the mid-160s (which you should definitely be able to pull off, just work at it) there are literally no schools that aren't options and you will certainly get money at some T14s. Please don't waste all that just for one year, it's not worth it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:50 pm

URM and 156? And the best you've gotten so far is Charlotte?

Is this even real? Did you apply after the deadline for all of the schools? You should at least get some offers from (14-30) and perhaps money too.... from personal experience.

Knp

New

Post by Knp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:00 pm

El Principe wrote:URM and 156? And the best you've gotten so far is Charlotte?

Is this even real? Did you apply after the deadline for all of the schools? You should at least get some offers from (14-30) and perhaps money too.... from personal experience.

Still waiting to hear back, but that would be nice! I did get a reasonable scholarship from SC

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Knp wrote: Still waiting to hear back, but that would be nice! I did get a reasonable scholarship from SC
It is not reasonable: please stop thinking it is reasonable. We're talking about you getting an even better scholarship from T10s with a good retake.

I don't think you realize how few URMs with your GPA try to go to law school. You have huge, huge potential here, and it would be a terrible waste if you didn't retake.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:11 pm

You should just get this cycle out of your mind and starting hitting the books. Nothing you get this cycle will be close to as good as if you apply in the fall with even a 160+

I know URM's with 3.0s and possession charges that got several 100k+ and full ride offers at T1s. Your ceiling is much higher than theirs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 am

I wish I had your GPA....Anyways, retake and profit..I retook last year and increased by 5 points. It has literally made a night and day difference between last cycle and this cycle. If you are concerned about debt, that's great, but you want a full ride at a STRONG regional school. It really depends on your goals. Honestly you can volunteer at your favorite organization for a year and have that on your resume, but at the end of the day most schools are number whores and if you have a pretty LSAT and pretty GPA (you already have that) you are gonna be fine. GL!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:39 am

Also, what kind of URM are you? (African American, Mexican American, Puerto Rican, etc)

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:09 am

Clearly wrote:Image
Wow TYFT. I will go around posting that in every applicable thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Also, what kind of URM are you? (African American, Mexican American, Puerto Rican, etc)
Probably not AA.... he would have gotten better offers by now.

I'm guessing something that's better represented and therefore doesn't give much of a boost...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 am

El Principe wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Also, what kind of URM are you? (African American, Mexican American, Puerto Rican, etc)

I'm guessing something that's better represented and therefore doesn't give much of a boost...
I agree. I'm just wondering if OP actually IS URM, or is confused about what qualfies.

Knp

New

Post by Knp » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:15 pm

El Principe wrote:

I'm Chinese Filipino

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:17 pm

Knp wrote:
El Principe wrote:

I'm Chinese Filipino
Don't believe that gets you any kind of a boost, unfortunately. Asians are not underrepresented in law school.

You should still retake for sure, though. Your GPA is solid enough that you will have MUCH better options if you can break into the 160s.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Well, pry no boost, but you could still go anywhere with a 3.8. Sit this cycle out and retake.

Knp

New

Post by Knp » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:Well, pry no boost, but you could still go anywhere with a 3.8. Sit this cycle out and retake.
too late to sit it out, unfortunately I have 11 apps out there, but I am definitely not willing to settle. If nothing great works out for me this cycle I am fine with waiting a year, especially after reading everyone's comments. Just gives me more options.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Knp wrote:I will update you all as I hear back from schools, part of the reason it could be taking so long is my mediocre LSAT score paired with my GPA, and underrepresented minority status.

I graduate from South Carolina undergrad in May and my plan was to attend law school in the fall, but now I guess there are more options for me before law school. I do see the value in a legal internship before legal education, but haven't been able to land one (i have been trying to get one for this summer).

I will wait to withdraw my apps, I still have faith in my GPA, LORs and PS. I may just surprise you all (yay for dropping LSAT medians)
WOAH! You didn't even say that you were a URM. Seriously man, retake is the only option here. With your GPA and URM status, if you get into the mid-160s (which you should definitely be able to pull off, just work at it) there are literally no schools that aren't options and you will certainly get money at some T14s. Please don't waste all that just for one year, it's not worth it
This. Please retake. 160+ is DEFINITELY possible and it could seriously alter the rest of your life.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Knp wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:Well, pry no boost, but you could still go anywhere with a 3.8. Sit this cycle out and retake.
too late to sit it out, unfortunately I have 11 apps out there, but I am definitely not willing to settle. If nothing great works out for me this cycle I am fine with waiting a year, especially after reading everyone's comments. Just gives me more options.
Unfortunately nothing 'great' will happen with a 156. Even if you get in to your reach schools, you'll be paying too much for them.

Go ahead and eat the application fees for this year. I know it sucks, but it's nothing in the grand scheme of your life. Better to take the hit of a couple hundred bucks now to save yourself tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars by retaking for a higher score.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Knp wrote:
too late to sit it out, unfortunately I have 11 apps out there, but I am definitely not willing to settle.
Well, it's your funeral.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:06 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Knp wrote:
Unfortunately nothing 'great' will happen with a 156. Even if you get in to your reach schools, you'll be paying too much for them.

Go ahead and eat the application fees for this year. I know it sucks, but it's nothing in the grand scheme of your life. Better to take the hit of a couple hundred bucks now to save yourself tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars by retaking for a higher score.
Plus getting a better score should allow you to have plenty of fee waivers for GOOD schools. So basically you are just double paying on the stupid LSAC fee racket job.

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:08 am

I'll go out on a limb here and say that taking the full ride isn't the absolute, 100% worst life decision you could ever make. Don't be surprised if you wake up in 3 years with no job, but you won't have a ton of debt, either.

Still, you should retake.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 am

JJ123 wrote:I'll go out on a limb here and say that taking the full ride isn't the absolute, 100% worst life decision you could ever make. Don't be surprised if you wake up in 3 years with no job, but you won't have a ton of debt, either.

Still, you should retake.
Maybe it won't be THE worst but it will almost certainly be in the pantheon of worst decisions the OP ever made

Retake/reapply

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”