Charged for DUI Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thislamp

New

Charged for DUI

Post by thislamp » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Last night I was charged for a drug DUI. I was not on drugs. I had blood work taken and it will reflect that I was not on drugs, and I have my hearing on March 27th. The charge will definitely be cleared.

But I do currently have that charge! And it has not yet been cleared! I haven't applied to NYU yet and I'm absolutely terrified to put this on there. I know it does not look good. What should I do????????? And do I have to notify the schools I've already applied to that this has happened? Any advice at all is appreciated.

For a little more background:
I was initially pulled over because my headlights were off. The officer was just going to let me know, but when he pulled me over he thought that I appeared, like, spacey basically. My behavior was odd to him (probably because I was so nervous my heart was pounding in my ears), so he gave me a field sobriety test, which he thought I was behaving oddly during (again, I was really nervous, so the balance tests were difficult, and I was genuinely confused that this was happening to me which affected my responses to his questions and tests). He was also extremely concerned that my eyelids were fluttering vigorously (I don't know what to say - I guess have fluttery eyelids). So he took me down to the station where I had a breathalyzer (blew zero) and another field sobriety test, during which my fluttering eyelids convinced them I might be on drugs! So they sent me to get blood work and then let me go because they were frustrated with the slow-moving bureaucracy and didn't want to wait to get my paperwork processed so that I could sleep in jail.

I feel like this story dispels the notion that I was driving under the influence, but it still looks bad!! Like, they were so weirded out by my behavior that they thought I was on drugs?? I'm extremely concerned about attaching this explanation as an addendum.

Sam_Spade

New

Re: Charged for DUI

Post by Sam_Spade » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm

common sense should tell you to wait until this is COMPLETELY expunged off your record before applying to any more law schools. if you've already subbed apps into a few schools I would NOT proceed any further until all of this clears itself up. this probably means waiting AT LEAST until the next admission cycle.
thislamp wrote:Last night I was charged for a drug DUI. I was not on drugs. I had blood work taken and it will reflect that I was not on drugs, and I have my hearing on March 27th. The charge will definitely be cleared.

But I do currently have that charge! And it has not yet been cleared! I haven't applied to NYU yet and I'm absolutely terrified to put this on there. I know it does not look good. What should I do????????? And do I have to notify the schools I've already applied to that this has happened? Any advice at all is appreciated.

For a little more background:
I was initially pulled over because my headlights were off. The officer was just going to let me know, but when he pulled me over he thought that I appeared, like, spacey basically. My behavior was odd to him (probably because I was so nervous my heart was pounding in my ears), so he gave me a field sobriety test, which he thought I was behaving oddly during (again, I was really nervous, so the balance tests were difficult, and I was genuinely confused that this was happening to me which affected my responses to his questions and tests). He was also extremely concerned that my eyelids were fluttering vigorously (I don't know what to say - I guess have fluttery eyelids). So he took me down to the station where I had a breathalyzer (blew zero) and another field sobriety test, during which my fluttering eyelids convinced them I might be on drugs! So they sent me to get blood work and then let me go because they were frustrated with the slow-moving bureaucracy and didn't want to wait to get my paperwork processed so that I could sleep in jail.

I feel like this story dispels the notion that I was driving under the influence, but it still looks bad!! Like, they were so weirded out by my behavior that they thought I was on drugs?? I'm extremely concerned about attaching this explanation as an addendum.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:53 pm

If the blood work shows that you weren't on drugs, the charges should be dropped, I would think.

Assuming that's the case, you should be fine. Yeah, you'll have to explain it, but if you're cleared by the lab work I can't imagine it's going to hurt you. If you haven't applied yet, you presumably aren't applying till next cycle anyway, so just relax.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Sam_Spade wrote:common sense should tell you to wait until this is COMPLETELY expunged off your record before applying to any more law schools. if you've already subbed apps into a few schools I would NOT proceed any further until all of this clears itself up. this probably means waiting AT LEAST until the next admission cycle.
No way.

cops charge innocent people with bullshit all the time.

Dude is innocent and he knows it.

Write the addenda to all the schools that require it (including schools you've applied to. relook at their C&F questions), and stand behind your innocence.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Nova wrote:
Sam_Spade wrote:common sense should tell you to wait until this is COMPLETELY expunged off your record before applying to any more law schools. if you've already subbed apps into a few schools I would NOT proceed any further until all of this clears itself up. this probably means waiting AT LEAST until the next admission cycle.
No way.

Write the addenda to all the schools that require it (including schools you've applied to. relook at their C&F questions), and stand behind your innocence.
Agreed. If you know you're for a fact innocent, then say so in your addendum. Just don't, you know, lie. Because if you lie about any of the details you will be in big trouble.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Nova wrote:
No way.

I completely agree with this.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:03 pm

This is stupid.

OP, this'll be resolved before you apply next cycle. You're good. Remember that you didn't actually do anything wrong and that you can conclusively prove it. When you write your addendum for your cycle, keep that in mind. Get your confidence back, study for the LSAT, and maybe fix your dopey eyelids.

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 am

you are stupid. you need to get your head checked out.
North wrote:
This is stupid.

OP, this'll be resolved before you apply next cycle. You're good. Remember that you didn't actually do anything wrong and that you can conclusively prove it. When you write your addendum for your cycle, keep that in mind. Get your confidence back, study for the LSAT, and maybe fix your dopey eyelids.

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:08 am

why would explain or say anything?

let the legal process work its way out and continue with the application as any normal person would.
TheSpanishMain wrote:If the blood work shows that you weren't on drugs, the charges should be dropped, I would think.

Assuming that's the case, you should be fine. Yeah, you'll have to explain it, but if you're cleared by the lab work I can't imagine it's going to hurt you. If you haven't applied yet, you presumably aren't applying till next cycle anyway, so just relax.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:31 am

he has to explain it because he probably has to disclose it on his apps even if it gets dismissed, and cases get dismissed for all kinds of reasons, many of which do not require factual innocence.

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 am

Last edited by jphiggo on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:25 am

I had something similar happen. I was arrested for failing a field sobriety but passed a breathalyzer when they took me to the station. I was charged anyway (for reasons I don't feel like discussing) and had to wait until my initial appearance to get the charge dropped. I wrote addendums and it was no big deal. Law schools don't care as much as anyone thinks. The bigger issue is leaving out this type of info on the app and then getting nipped at C&F for failure to disclose when you applied. Just disclose and keep applying and you'll be fine.

thislamp

New

Post by thislamp » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for their input. (Most of) the comments made me feel a lot better about this craziness. I would also really love any comments on this character and fitness explanation I'm submitting to a school:

On the evening of March 5, 2014, I was pulled over because my headlights were not turned on. When the police officer pulled me over, he arrested me for a drug DUI. I was not under the influence of any impairment-causing drug. I have not yet received the results of my blood test from the night of my arrest, but they will undoubtedly confirm this statement. My hearing for arraignment will take place on March 27, 2014. I will send [your school] an addendum after my hearing takes place.

Thank you!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:25 am

I'd probably include a very brief explanation of why you were taken in for a "drug DUI." Did you smell like pot? Were you shaking? These are questions I would wonder about if I were admissions. I remember your case was something trivial like eyes fluttering and you were nervous. Don't make it sound like an excuse, just cite it as the for-fact reason you were arrested. Also, don't call it a "drug DUI." That sounds weird.

I would say something like: "The officer administered a field sobriety test and claimed I failed. Additionally, the officer stated that my eye movements were erratic. I explained that I was just nervous, but I was still arrested. At the station, a breathalyzer was administered and confirmed that I had not been drinking alcohol. At this point, the officer requested bloodwork and informed me that the DUI charge would now be based on narcotic use. The results will be in soon and will confirm that I was not driving impaired by alcohol or narcotics."

Sort-of-ish something like that.

thislamp

New

Post by thislamp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 pm

transferror wrote:I'd probably include a very brief explanation of why you were taken in for a "drug DUI." Did you smell like pot? Were you shaking? These are questions I would wonder about if I were admissions. I remember your case was something trivial like eyes fluttering and you were nervous. Don't make it sound like an excuse, just cite it as the for-fact reason you were arrested. Also, don't call it a "drug DUI." That sounds weird.

I would say something like: "The officer administered a field sobriety test and claimed I failed. Additionally, the officer stated that my eye movements were erratic. I explained that I was just nervous, but I was still arrested. At the station, a breathalyzer was administered and confirmed that I had not been drinking alcohol. At this point, the officer requested bloodwork and informed me that the DUI charge would now be based on narcotic use. The results will be in soon and will confirm that I was not driving impaired by alcohol or narcotics."

Sort-of-ish something like that.
Thank you this was totally helpful :)
You were definitely right - explaining why the officer believed I was under the influence was the way to go.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 pm

this is clearly uninformed

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 pm

So in the title you say you were charged. Do you mean charged, or arrested, or merely detained? It makes a difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HanShotFirst

New

Post by HanShotFirst » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Sam_Spade wrote:why would explain or say anything?

let the legal process work its way out and continue with the application as any normal person would.
TheSpanishMain wrote:If the blood work shows that you weren't on drugs, the charges should be dropped, I would think.

You must be new here

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Ban the Box!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”