KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What schools have you gotten in to?

Stanford
4%
Harvard
8%
Chicago
7%
Columbia
8%
NYU
13%
UVA/Penn
11%
Berkeley/Michigan
13%
Duke
16%
Cornell
7%
Georgetown
14%

Total votes: 565

Kimikho

Gold

KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:06 pm

The splitters get a thread.
The reverse splitters get a thread.
The URMs get a thread.
I want a thread.

Welcome to the KJD/Weak softs thread.
Last edited by Kimikho on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimikho

Gold

Re: KJD and/or Weak Softs Thread

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 pm

When checking in, please indicate whether you are KJD or have weak softs.

KJD means "kindergarten through JD." I personally take this to mean no gap years with maybe one after graduation (as in, you graduated in June 2013), but it is a little bit of a personal definition.

Yale and Northwestern are not in the poll because the poll can only have ten options. No one ITT has gotten into Yale, and Northwestern is very unlikely. If you have gotten into NU (or Yale!) --feel free to leave it in the comments!

Here is a graph for Harvard's KJD acceptances. I've included 0 years and 1 year:
Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:11 pm

in.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Checking in. I fulfill both 8)

MrMileyCyrus

Bronze

Post by MrMileyCyrus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

What is the general accepted idea of what entails "average softs"? In the spreadsheets, it seems like everyone is "above average." I'm wondering if all of these above averages have as an impressive resume as they think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Sorry if this is obvious, but what is KJD?

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

buffalo_ wrote:Sorry if this is obvious, but what is KJD?
kindergarten to jd without a break.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:16 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:What is the general accepted idea of what entails "average softs"? In the spreadsheets, it seems like everyone is "above average." I'm wondering if all of these above averages have as an impressive resume as they think.
I think I'm a little bit above average for a KJD, but I'm nearly positive I'm below-average for everyone.

I kind of just bump everything down. What I think is average = below average, etc. On the flip side, it's a little annoying. Everyone has to work after graduation. Not everyone has to spend fifteen hours a week in meetings in UG.

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 pm

scoobers wrote:
MrMileyCyrus wrote:What is the general accepted idea of what entails "average softs"? In the spreadsheets, it seems like everyone is "above average." I'm wondering if all of these above averages have as an impressive resume as they think.
I think I'm a little bit above average for a KJD, but I'm nearly positive I'm below-average for everyone.

I kind of just bump everything down. What I think is average = below average, etc. On the flip side, it's a little annoying. Everyone has to work after graduation. Not everyone has to spend fifteen hours a week in meetings in UG.
What if someone doesn't have to work after graduation? This hurts your resume if you don't have work experience, no? In terms of softs.
Last edited by redbull12 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 pm

redbull12 wrote:
scoobers wrote:

What if someone doesn't have to work after graduation? This hurts your resume if you don't have work experience, no? In terms of softs.
Like, they live at home to study for the LSAT and don't work? TBH, I kind of place that even below KJDs.

I do wonder how schools view someone who went straight to a masters program and then law school.

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:21 pm

scoobers wrote:
redbull12 wrote:
scoobers wrote:

Like, they live at home to study for the LSAT and don't work? TBH, I kind of place that even below KJDs.

I do wonder how schools view someone who went straight to a masters program and then law school.
Well, you have to qualify this statement. Did this person finish the masters program or drop out? If he/she dropped out, law schools might be very hesitant unless he/she can state what were the circumstances around the drop out. If he/she obtained the m.s/m.a, then it is probably a bonus. However, LSAC GPA does not include any gpa after obtainment of degree.

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:26 pm

KJD over here! Not only that, but I also crammed 4 years of undergrad into 3. I obviously like pain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:27 pm

kellohitty wrote:KJD over here! Not only that, but I also crammed 4 years of undergrad into 3. I obviously like pain.
+1

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm

i was in a bar and overheard two rainmaker partners at a V5 firm talking to each other. excerpted as follows:

- "goddamn KJD scum" (spat) "cost me another billion dollar merge"
- "not surprised, but they're pretty good at getting a couple of regulars at the corner starbucks, right?"
- (KJD enters with starbucks cup, hands to partner)
- "I SAID TWO SHOTS OF ESPRESSO," slaps other coffee cup out of KJD's hand
(CURTAIN)

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:50 pm

kellohitty wrote:KJD over here! Not only that, but I also crammed 4 years of undergrad into 3. I obviously like pain.

Same. I probably got a much worse gpa too haha.

Iroh

Bronze

Post by Iroh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:52 pm

scoobers wrote:
redbull12 wrote: What if someone doesn't have to work after graduation? This hurts your resume if you don't have work experience, no? In terms of softs.
Lol, glad to see I'm occupying the lowest spot on the totem pole. :wink: Though not for lack of trying. Original plan was to work as a paralegal for 1-2 years, then to just find any sort of employment (I couldn't even get an interview at Target), then it turned into, "Fuck it, just study for the LSAT, volunteer, and keep my fingers crossed. This is what I get for being a cocky liberal arts major.

So far it hasn't spelled total doom for my cycle. I got a JS1, an interview with Chicago, acceptances from UVA and Duke, and a waitlist from Penn. But I can't help but wonder what might have happened if I was more aggressive about finding employment when I was still in undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:59 pm

stillwater wrote:i was in a bar and overheard two rainmaker partners at a V5 firm talking to each other. excerpted as follows:

- "goddamn KJD scum" (spat) "cost me another billion dollar merge"
- "not surprised, but they're pretty good at getting a couple of regulars at the corner starbucks, right?"
- (KJD enters with starbucks cup, hands to partner)
- "I SAID TWO SHOTS OF ESPRESSO," slaps other coffee cup out of KJD's hand
(CURTAIN)
Did this really happen?

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:59 pm

My guess is that a number of KJD's have above average softs compared to their peers (big fish/little pond), but compared to the quality of applicants and variety of applicants for top schools (small fish/huge ocean) those softs become just ordinary.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi guyz

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:06 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Hi guyz
Hello.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Hi guyz
Welcome to the club! We offer cookies made of sunshine, rainbows, and naïveté.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:08 pm

It is interesting to see how so many people in the sheets say "above average," like most people have a hyperinflated sense of what they've accomplished in relation to other applicants.

In the spreadsheet I sometimes put average and sometimes put above average. I really don't know what adcomms see as above average and what they don't. And if it even matters...

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Not even sure if my softs are 'weak' per se, but I highly doubt they're above average.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 pm

wtrc wrote:It is interesting to see how so many people in the sheets say "above average," like most people have a hyperinflated sense of what they've accomplished in relation to other applicants.

In the spreadsheet I sometimes put average and sometimes put above average. I really don't know what adcomms see as above average and what they don't. And if it even matters...
(Is not kjd)
(Or weak softs)
( :evil: )

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”