Retake in February for this cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gmenagerie

New

Retake in February for this cycle?

Post by gmenagerie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:30 pm

I got deferred into the RD pool by my top choice (w/in T14), to which I ED'ed.
I applied w/ a 165+ but I feel like I can break 170 in Feb.
GPA is at median of my top choice.

Additionally, i have yet to hear back from the other schools I've applied to (all w/in T14).
Do you think it's worth it for me to retake in Feb? If so, should I tell schools to hold my app until then?
Since I've already submitted my apps & shelled out a decent amount of $, I'd prefer not to wait till next cycle.

For those who have been in my shoes (i.e. ED'ed but deferred to RD):
Other than a higher LSAT, is there anything else I can do to get them off the fence about me? Does writing additional essays/LOCI actually help, or do they just want improved numbers?

Thanks

jingosaur

Gold

Re: Retake in February for this cycle?

Post by jingosaur » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:50 pm

gmenagerie wrote:I got deferred into the RD pool by my top choice (w/in T14), to which I ED'ed.
I applied w/ a 165+ but I feel like I can break 170 in Feb.
GPA is at median of my top choice.

Additionally, i have yet to hear back from the other schools I've applied to (all w/in T14).
Do you think it's worth it for me to retake in Feb? If so, should I tell schools to hold my app until then?
Since I've already submitted my apps & shelled out a decent amount of $, I'd prefer not to wait till next cycle.

For those who have been in my shoes (i.e. ED'ed but deferred to RD):
Other than a higher LSAT, is there anything else I can do to get them off the fence about me? Does writing additional essays/LOCI actually help, or do they just want improved numbers?

Thanks
3-5 more points on the LSAT will do more than any essay or letter. Retake in February if you're ready.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Spend all of your time for the next month and a half studying for the LSAT, and retake in February.

I'm not sure if LOCI's are necessary for ED -> RD deferral. If you get waitlisted somewhere, I'd send a LOCI. It won't have a huge impact, but they're also not difficult to write.

gmenagerie

New

Post by gmenagerie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Should I go ahead and notify the schools about my decision to retake in Feb?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”