Do I need to disclose? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kiladra

New

Do I need to disclose?

Post by Kiladra » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Question about the application
Last edited by Kiladra on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastsamurai

Silver

Re: Do I need to disclose?

Post by lastsamurai » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I mean...is it in your record anywhere? Idk anything about C&F issues, but I can't imagine this would be something to disclose unless it was a formal reprimand.

Kiladra

New

Post by Kiladra » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:07 pm

I was just wondering about disclosing on the C&F questions on the law school apps where they ask if one has ever been reprimanded, warned, dismissed, etc. about any misconduct at an institution?
Last edited by Kiladra on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:37 pm

It would need to happen while you were a student to matter.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Depends on the exact wording of the questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kiladra

New

Post by Kiladra » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 pm

The T6 have basically the same question:

"Have you ever at any college or university been in other than good standing because of academic deficiencies, been sanctioned for misconduct, or been the subject of disciplinary proceedings?"

"In connection with your enrollment at any college, university, or other institution of higher education, have you ever been found to be guilty, responsible or accountable for any misconduct, including but not limited to any matter for which you were suspended, dismissed, expelled, banned, restricted, placed on probation, or subject to any other sanction or penalty?"

"At any college or university, have you ever been suspended, expelled, or required to withdraw, or been the subject of any other disciplinary action or proceeding for misconduct or deficient scholarship, or are there any charges pending against you?"

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Kiladra wrote:The T6 have basically the same question:

"Have you ever at any college or university been in other than good standing because of academic deficiencies, been sanctioned for misconduct, or been the subject of disciplinary proceedings?"

"In connection with your enrollment at any college, university, or other institution of higher education, have you ever been found to be guilty, responsible or accountable for any misconduct, including but not limited to any matter for which you were suspended, dismissed, expelled, banned, restricted, placed on probation, or subject to any other sanction or penalty?"

"At any college or university, have you ever been suspended, expelled, or required to withdraw, or been the subject of any other disciplinary action or proceeding for misconduct or deficient scholarship, or are there any charges pending against you?"
So I think it depends on how formal the process was by which the organizers "reprimanded" you (i.e. would it constitute being 'found to be guilty, responsible or accountable'?).

Unlike TigerDude, I don't think these questions are restricted to things that happened "while you were a student" - they ask about thinks that happened "at any college or university" or "in connection with your enrollment at any college, university,...". An event specifically for graduates seems to me to be "in connection with your enrollment" even though it's temporally after that enrollment.

As always, the safest route is to call the admissions offices and ask them.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Kiladra

New

Post by Kiladra » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

It was not illegal. An incident that was a breach of social mores that would embarrass a school. Not a formal reprimand, a verbal reprimand/warning if that's what you mean by formal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Kiladra

New

Post by Kiladra » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:08 pm

No it had nothing to do with fraud/dishonesty. But I'd rather PM the story than post it.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 am

This sounds like the sort of thing that will have zero impact on admissions and zero impact on bar admissions, but could (with very low probability) cause a problem if you don't disclose on the applications but it comes out during C&F for the bar.

Kiladra

New

Post by Kiladra » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:39 pm

It didn't cross my mind until I began reading all the C&F frenzied queries on this forum. It seems people are worried about disclosing whether they ever behaved less than properly. I have submitted my applications and considering a few offers. I started reading this forum, and I thought I'd poke around here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Kiladra wrote:It didn't cross my mind until I began reading all the C&F frenzied queries on this forum. It seems people are worried about disclosing whether they ever behaved less than properly. I have submitted my applications and considering a few offers. I started reading this forum, and I thought I'd poke around here.
If you've already submitted, get in touch with the schools and ask someone, after describing the situation, if it's something that they would like to know about. Explain that you didn't disclose it because it wasn't while you were a student, and you didn't think it was a formal reprimand, but after talking with some people, you were concerned about it. If they ask you to disclose it, send in a short explanation. If they ask you not to disclose it, don't worry about it.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:04 pm

You can always call specific schools (b/c each school has a slightly different question) anonymously and ask. The safer and easier route is to disclose. When in doubt, disclose.

If anyone has a pool going, I call dibs on "OP showed up drunk" at the event. For those playing along at home, something like that would definitely be a disclose, less b/c it fits neatly within a C&F question, but b/c it's small enough that it likely won't impact your admissions (absent other circumstances) but big enough that if the board of law examiners does find out about it you look very dishonest and immature. Disclosing it at the application stage let's you show maturity and growth by acknowledging/accepting your mistake and pledging that similar things won't happen again.

Dean Perez

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”