When to resign? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jesse1983

New

When to resign?

Post by Jesse1983 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:57 am

Deleted
Last edited by Jesse1983 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Re: When to resign?

Post by OsaroLJ » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:14 am

You are a year away. Relax. Thing can change and you have no idea what your life circumstances will be in June!

And, you are professionals not BFFs

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 am

I think this falls under the "use your head" category because there is no possible way that we could make an informed decision since you are the only one not operating on imperfect information of your situation. Telling your boss your going to leave in 9 months will likely push you out of opportunities even if he doesn't fine your ass.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:03 am

i wouldn't wait until the minimum notice time, but i personally wouldn't give them any more than they need to find a replacement and maybe overlap with some training. even though literally everyone in my life told me to keep it to myself, i told people at work my intentions, thinking i was being considerate, and i wish i could take it back. they treat me like trash now. it's going to be a very uncomfortable few months. protect yourself!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 am

I really hope you DON'T plan on telling your boss now. I would give a month's notice if you are feeling extremely generous. The fact of the matter is that if your coworkers know you are leaving your working relationship WILL change, even if it does not appear so on the surface. We've had high level execs giving one months notice here, AFTER collecting their retention bonus, so you will be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notalobbyist

Bronze

Post by notalobbyist » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Wait, it sucks working for an organization that knows you're out the door in x months. The relationship sours quickly, so don't start that process too far in advance.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Consider the risks - if you let them know now, they could fire you now.This is a business relationship, not a friendship. Do not tell them now. Tell them closer to your entry date to law school. Since you say you could leave four weeks before school starts and be okay, then four weeks is a reasonable time to tell them. It gives them more than the standard two weeks, but it's not so far in advance that you risk your own financial security.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”