Considering a retake Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ganja

New

Considering a retake

Post by ganja » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:56 pm

So I got a 154 on June's test but I am seriously considering retaking and trying my luck next October or December. I will be very busy working full time on an internship at my cousin's small firm from January to April but I think 4 to 6 months of intense studying can really serve me well and hopefully get my score up to at least the mid 160s though I haven't looked at an LSAT question since June. My goal has always been to go to school on a full ride and I do have a 3.8 gpa but it looks like the full ride offers I would get would come with some outrageous stips. What say you TLS?

gaud

Platinum

Re: Considering a retake

Post by gaud » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Retake.

Good luck!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:20 pm

gaud wrote:Retake.

Good luck!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Definitely retake. There is no downside.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Nova wrote:
gaud wrote:Retake.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:17 pm

ganja wrote:My goal has always been to go to school on a full ride and I do have a 3.8 gpa...
Where are you planning on going to school? Your LSAT goal might vary depending on which schools you hope will provide you with full scholarships.

ganja

New

Post by ganja » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 pm

IpleadtheFiF wrote:
ganja wrote:My goal has always been to go to school on a full ride and I do have a 3.8 gpa...
Where are you planning on going to school? Your LSAT goal might vary depending on which schools you hope will provide you with full scholarships.
Pretty much the only schools I'd go to without a full ride would be anything top 6 but to tell you the truth a tier 2 or strong regional would be okay with me at a full ride. I want to see what offers I get first and if I can negotiate reasonable stips before i make a decision

notalobbyist

Bronze

Post by notalobbyist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:59 pm

So going to UVA at half price is a non starter because...

It seems weird that you would take a full ride at a school with poorer employment prospects over a school that puts you in a reasonable amount of debt, but in a great position to pay it off. Based purely on your statements, you're leaving a lot of money on the table due to debt aversion.

This is, of course, contingent upon you retaking and getting a high 160's score. Did you retake in Oct?

ganja

New

Post by ganja » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 pm

notalobbyist wrote:So going to UVA at half price is a non starter because...

It seems weird that you would take a full ride at a school with poorer employment prospects over a school that puts you in a reasonable amount of debt, but in a great position to pay it off. Based purely on your statements, you're leaving a lot of money on the table due to debt aversion.

This is, of course, contingent upon you retaking and getting a high 160's score. Did you retake in Oct?
I was lucky enough to get out of undergrad without any debt but man I hate being in debt so much even if it's $100. Perhaps I worded my statement wrong by implying that I wouldn't go to a top school if not for a full ride. UVA at half is a solid bargain but it would really depend on other offers from other schools. No, I did not retake in October. I've sent out about 5 apps so far to two tier 2s, two tier4s and a tier 1 but will have to look at the offers and see how negotiations go before deciding. I'm thinking of taking a diagnostic cold this week to see how far off I am. I was PTing 153-158 range in June

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 pm

I recommend reading Mike Spivey's thoughts on retaking.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistak ... at-advice/

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:20 am

haus wrote:I recommend reading Mike Spivey's thoughts on retaking.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistak ... at-advice/
Concerning the first point
1. If you retake the LSAT your score is not likely to go up substantially or beyond the measurement of error for the first test.
Ganja, I hope you study your genitalia off for the next LSAT and beat the odds. If you really were taking practice tests and were scoring consistently in the 150s, you would probably benefit from taking a course. Granted, if you can rigorously analyze your mistakes and increase your speed, save your money.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:39 am

retaking is the credited move

you should aim for June, that way, if you don't feel ready, you'll take it in October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”