Old "should I re-take" dilemma Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EllenThev

New

Old "should I re-take" dilemma

Post by EllenThev » Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm an international student (south america), but I transferred to a good American university to, among other reasons, complete my bachelor's degree with a comparable GPA and apply for law school here. I am graduating this summer, but I did not know that would be possible (I'm taking a course overload) until past the december LSAT date and thus my applications were delayed and honestly I could not properly prepare for the test. Although I have a 3.97 GPA, I got a disappointing 155 LSAT, and got into top 25 universities but I really wanted a T14 choice (for the national/international reach)... I wonder if anyone could give me some advice: should I re-take the test in June and see if I can improve (in less than a month)? or take the year off to study and send early applications? My fear is "wasting" 1 year if that is really the best I can do in the exam...

Any help is very much appreciated... thank you! :)

Tekrul

Bronze

Re: Old "should I re-take" dilemma

Post by Tekrul » Mon May 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Unfortunately, this thread is now at the bottom of the board and will soon forever be lost beneath the sands of page 2 ad infinitum. I hope you take a look.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208084

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 07, 2013 9:05 am

you should definitely retake. idk if you are ESL but there are some good threads on here that might help with that if that is your issue. 3.97 indicates potential for big gains if you prepare properly.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 am

Take a year off and study. It usually takes more than one month to learn this test. You have so much room for improvement in your results, it would absolutely be terrible for you not to pursue to the full extent of your ability this retake.

Retake in October, and possibly retake in December. It will likely be the best decision you ever made.

Also, study very very intently. It takes work but you can significantly increase your score.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 pm

EllenThev wrote:I'm an international student (south america), but I transferred to a good American university to, among other reasons, complete my bachelor's degree with a comparable GPA and apply for law school here. I am graduating this summer, but I did not know that would be possible (I'm taking a course overload) until past the december LSAT date and thus my applications were delayed and honestly I could not properly prepare for the test. Although I have a 3.97 GPA, I got a disappointing 155 LSAT, and got into top 25 universities but I really wanted a T14 choice (for the national/international reach)... I wonder if anyone could give me some advice: should I re-take the test in June and see if I can improve (in less than a month)? or take the year off to study and send early applications? My fear is "wasting" 1 year if that is really the best I can do in the exam...

Any help is very much appreciated... thank you! :)
You owe it to yourself--and to that lovely 3.97 GPA of yours--to retake. I bet you could be fully prepared in time for the December 2013 LSAT, although taking it in October would be preferable.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EllenThev

New

Post by EllenThev » Tue May 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Thank you everyone, deep down I think I already thought that was the best thing, just wanted to have some support (honestly, my family is already happy with the current options, even though I wish I could really show my best).

Hopefully I'll add to the success stories of Tekrul's tread...

(PS: yes, english is my second language - actually third)

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm

OP-

Come join us over at the October LSAT Prep Group http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=203636

I think you will be able to improve a lot leading up to October and that would leave you in a good position to apply this coming cycle.

Best

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 pm

EllenThev wrote:Thank you everyone, deep down I think I already thought that was the best thing, just wanted to have some support (honestly, my family is already happy with the current options, even though I wish I could really show my best).

Hopefully I'll add to the success stories of Tekrul's tread...

(PS: yes, english is my second language - actually third)
the LSAT is hard enough as it is, I can't imagine doing it ESL. best of luck to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”