Wash U $$ vs. Notre Dame $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Wash U $$
45%
Notre Dame $$
55%

Total votes: 29

soontobelawschooler

New

Post by soontobelawschooler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Hypothetically-say you must choose one of these two schools that both offer 20k/yr scholly that you keep for all three years,

Cost estimate:
(Tuition+CoL-scholly)x3 = WUSTL is 10k more than ND (122,000 > 111,000).

You also plan to work overseas some time in the future-- which degree would be more portable globally?
Last edited by soontobelawschooler on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goblin Tacos

New

Re: Wash U $$ vs. Notre Dame $$

Post by Goblin Tacos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Forget "working globally" unless you have some clear lead towards it. Even in non-legal careers it is very rare.

I don't have any evidence to baxk this up, but if you truly want chicago ND, I think, places maybe a smidge better. Its also 10, 000 cheaper, so even if it didnt, you need to choose ND if not willing to retake.

majnana

New

Post by majnana » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:22 pm

I disagree that the 10k is a significant difference and the OP "needs" to choose NDLS. If we were talking 10k per year, then yeah. But not when spread out over the course of all three years.

I would visit both campuses and ask yourself where you'd like to spend the next three years of your life. I will grant that law school is all about the end game of securing a job, but when faced with two similarly-ranked schools in the same general region, with similar placement in Chicago, with almost the exact same cost, I think it comes down to where you will be most comfortable. The experience at both schools will likely be similar with just slightly different... flavors, for lack of a better analogy. The biggest difference I see is that one is located in a much more exciting area. To some people that makes a big difference.

I say visit, if you can, before making a decision.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goblin Tacos

New

Post by Goblin Tacos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm

majnana wrote:I disagree that the 10k is a significant difference and the OP "needs" to choose NDLS. If we were talking 10k per year, then yeah. But not when spread out over the course of all three years.

I would visit both campuses and ask yourself where you'd like to spend the next three years of your life. I will grant that law school is all about the end game of securing a job, but when faced with two similarly-ranked schools in the same general region, with similar placement in Chicago, with almost the exact same cost, I think it comes down to where you will be most comfortable. The experience at both schools will likely be similar with just slightly different... flavors, for lack of a better analogy. The biggest difference I see is that one is located in a much more exciting area. To some people that makes a big difference.

I say visit, if you can, before making a decision.
Not an expert at finance but isn't 10, 000 about an extra $100 in loan repayment? If op is median every cent is going to make a difference. 10,000 is not some small number. Only relative to the other 100k can that be confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”