Can I even get into law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oakhan22

New

Can I even get into law school?

Post by oakhan22 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Okay. Here are some specifics. Pakistani. 21. University of London External LLB (Bachelors in Laws) final year. My grades are good. They just aren't exceptional. I just gave my LSAT this Saturday. Week's worth or preparation. Was scoring around 165. But I believe there is a possibility that I messed up. The issue is that due to a medical condition (osteoid osteoma) in my spinal chord, I suffer from chronic pain in my left leg and lower back. Which basically hindered me getting exceptional grades in my undergrad and performing up to mark in my LSAT. I have some work experience. Worked on a petition to to the Supreme Court in Pakistan. Headed the Law Clinic at my institution. And the basic aim is to go law school in the US.
Yes I do have the option to do an LLM. But I would prefer doing the JD. So can someone advise me if I should even apply. Because honestly, from the law school's point of view, the medical issue might just seem like an excuse. And I dont want that to happen.

ms9

Gold

Re: Can I even get into law school?

Post by ms9 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm

oakhan22 wrote:Okay. Here are some specifics. Pakistani. 21. University of London External LLB (Bachelors in Laws) final year. My grades are good. They just aren't exceptional. I just gave my LSAT this Saturday. Week's worth or preparation. Was scoring around 165. But I believe there is a possibility that I messed up. The issue is that due to a medical condition (osteoid osteoma) in my spinal chord, I suffer from chronic pain in my left leg and lower back. Which basically hindered me getting exceptional grades in my undergrad and performing up to mark in my LSAT. I have some work experience. Worked on a petition to to the Supreme Court in Pakistan. Headed the Law Clinic at my institution. And the basic aim is to go law school in the US.
Yes I do have the option to do an LLM. But I would prefer doing the JD. So can someone advise me if I should even apply. Because honestly, from the law school's point of view, the medical issue might just seem like an excuse. And I dont want that to happen.
Certainly you can get admitted to a U.S. law school, it would be hard not to this year. You will know a lot more when you get your LSAT scores back, obviously. (who did you give your LSAT to? :). Your TOEFL will come into play too.

But again, to answer the question directly, you will get into law school!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:41 pm

If you can get a 155+ on the LSAT you can probably get into a JD program somewhere, especially this cycle.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

25% of Southern Univiersty had a 142 or below...

So yeah, you can get in. But that doesnt really mean anything by itself.

Once you get a score, you will get way better advice about where to apply.

oakhan22

New

Post by oakhan22 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
oakhan22 wrote:Okay. Here are some specifics. Pakistani. 21. University of London External LLB (Bachelors in Laws) final year. My grades are good. They just aren't exceptional. I just gave my LSAT this Saturday. Week's worth or preparation. Was scoring around 165. But I believe there is a possibility that I messed up. The issue is that due to a medical condition (osteoid osteoma) in my spinal chord, I suffer from chronic pain in my left leg and lower back. Which basically hindered me getting exceptional grades in my undergrad and performing up to mark in my LSAT. I have some work experience. Worked on a petition to to the Supreme Court in Pakistan. Headed the Law Clinic at my institution. And the basic aim is to go law school in the US.
Certainly you can get admitted to a U.S. law school, it would be hard not to this year. You will know a lot more when you get your LSAT scores back, obviously. (who did you give your LSAT to? :). Your TOEFL will come into play too.

But again, to answer the question directly, you will get into law school!
I dont need to give TOEFL. O Levels/GCE (first 2 years of High School) English. Got an A in it. That cancels out the TOEFL requirement.
I am worried over using the medical issue on my application. Will that go against me or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:51 pm

oakhan22 wrote: I am worried over using the medical issue on my application. Will that go against me or not?
Is your PS about overcoming your medical issue? Thats fine, and wont hurt you (if written well).

If its not obvious enough from your PS, its fine to write brief addendum about your gpa/lsat.

I would suggest posting your PS/addendums in the critique section of the forum. This can be done anonymously if you prefer. Then you will get honest feedback on how your PS makes you look.

oakhan22

New

Post by oakhan22 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Nova wrote:
oakhan22 wrote: I am worried over using the medical issue on my application. Will that go against me or not?
Is your PS about overcoming your medical issue? Thats fine, and wont hurt you (if written well).

If its not obvious enough from your PS, its fine to write brief addendum about your gpa/lsat.

I would suggest posting your PS/addendums in the critique section of the forum. This can be done anonymously if you prefer. Then you will get honest feedback on how your PS makes you look.

Thats exactly what I am going for. But the issue is. I havnt really overcome my medical issue. :p

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Well, in a sense, continuing to press forward and chase your dreams, regardless of circumstances, is overcoming your medical issues.

There are multiple students at my law school (top 20), in my year, that have severe physical limitations. Theres a paraplegic girl who also cant use her fingers. Theres a guy who cant stand, use his arms well, or even verbally communicate clearly. They havent "over come" their disabilitys in the sense of beating them into nonexistance. Their disabilities will be with them for the rest of their lives. But they have learned to live with them, and are likely stronger becuase of it. Their desire to not let their disabilities hold them down is insperational to everyone. Their passion and appreciation for life is obvious. If written well, your application can have the same affect.

oakhan22

New

Post by oakhan22 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Nova wrote:Well, in a sense, continuing to press forward and chase your dreams, regardless of circumstances, is overcoming your medical issues.

There are multiple students at my law school (top 20), in my year, that have severe physical limitations. Theres a paraplegic girl who also cant use her fingers. Theres a guy who cant stand, use his arms well, or even verbally communicate clearly. They havent "over come" their disabilitys in the sense of beating them into nonexistance. Their disabilities will be with them for the rest of their lives. But they have learned to live with them, and are likely stronger becuase of it. Their desire to not let their disabilities hold them down is insperational to everyone. Their passion and appreciation for life is obvious. If written well, your application can have the same affect.
Dude. You just inspired the shit out of me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Im glad :mrgreen: Good luck!!

oakhan22

New

Post by oakhan22 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:58 pm

You should be fine in Law school as long as you can read medical wise. Also, GPA may not matter because of foreign school (I forget the requirements, but your may just be no GPA, since international schools have different standards that are not standardize to US systems)

So you may be looking at LSAT only, which is a good thing, because that means just study your ass for it, take a year off, and you should be okay. A rule of thumb is you can usually increase your score by 10 points from your first, TIMED, test with lots of practice. However, it may go up more than that. I know I did 15 points from my first test to my final score (170)

Furthermore, talk about your background, how you ended up in London, about your med condition. I mean for a white guy of average weight, height and middle class family, not for me to talk about. Sounds like you got a few things.

Either way, key is LSAT, treat it like a job, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week if you could, and you will be golden.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”