Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Post Reply
3ThrowAway99

Gold
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Numbers aren't all that different in terms of placement or in terms of admission (except perhaps GPA), it is an Ivy, and it is in NYC... so who else agrees that going to Columbia with scholly is > than H?

Ok, so tongue is in cheek, but kind of interested to see people debate this.

User avatar
sinfiery

Gold
Posts: 3310
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by sinfiery » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:32 pm

When I tell people I'm a shoe in at C, they don't shudder an eye.

When I tell them I have a chance at H, they go crazy. And assume I'm a long shot.


Outside of the legal community, H>>>>>>C.
From my personal experience at least.



Plus HYS financial aid seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of all other schools so if you're taking out full loans, it would take a lot of $$$$$$$$ at C to equal the cost of HYS. And that's to equal it, you want to beat it.


Also numbers wise, H is closer to Y than C is to H.

Class size being the major distinction why I assume you chose to go after H.

Swimp

Bronze
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by Swimp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 pm

The only employment outcome for which C compares to H is NYC biglaw.

User avatar
dresden doll

Platinum
Posts: 6797
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by dresden doll » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 am

Lawquacious wrote:Numbers aren't all that different in terms of placement or in terms of admission (except perhaps GPA), it is an Ivy, and it is in NYC... so who else agrees that going to Columbia with scholly is > than H?

Ok, so tongue is in cheek, but kind of interested to see people debate this.
It's kind of interesting to have people engage in a pissing contest over the significance of the fact that CLS's median is 172 while HLS's is 173?

User avatar
dproduct

Gold
Posts: 4078
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by dproduct » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:04 am

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
Tom Joad

Gold
Posts: 4526
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:28 am

Image

User avatar
IAFG

Platinum
Posts: 6641
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:33 am

When you say that placement isn't that different, you're looking at different things than people who think (realize) that it's very, very different.

User avatar
bernaldiaz

Gold
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:04 pm

sinfiery wrote:When I tell people I'm a shoe in at C, they don't shudder an eye.

When I tell them I have a chance at H, they go crazy. And assume I'm a long shot.


Outside of the legal community, H>>>>>>C.
From my personal experience at least.



Plus HYS financial aid seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of all other schools so if you're taking out full loans, it would take a lot of $$$$$$$$ at C to equal the cost of HYS. And that's to equal it, you want to beat it.


Also numbers wise, H is closer to Y than C is to H.

Class size being the major distinction why I assume you chose to go after H.
What type of aspie goes around telling people they're a shoe-in at Columbia?

TheZoid

Bronze
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by TheZoid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Looking forward to BruceWayne's input on this novel topic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
2014

Platinum
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by 2014 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Image
lolololol

User avatar
sinfiery

Gold
Posts: 3310
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by sinfiery » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:49 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
What type of aspie goes around telling people they're a shoe-in at Columbia?
Where do you want to goto lawschool?
"northeast"
"but what school"
"oh I dunno"
"ohhhhhh, I see.."
"probably columbia though, maybe harvard"



also, fuck off.
thanks

florida1949

Bronze
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by florida1949 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:51 pm

sinfiery wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
What type of aspie goes around telling people they're a shoe-in at Columbia?
Where do you want to goto lawschool?
"northeast"
"but what school"
"oh I dunno"
"ohhhhhh, I see.."
"probably columbia though, maybe harvard"



also, fuck off.
thanks
haha i always feel kinda weird telling people where I'm applying, don't want to make it seem like I'm bragging... usually end up saying something like above

"oh mostly out of state schools"

User avatar
banjo

Silver
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by banjo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:17 pm

I just say "all the usual suspects -- columbia, nyu, chicago, duke, penn, etc." It also comes off less-douchey if you mix in three state schools like I just did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
moonman157

Silver
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by moonman157 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 pm

TLS: where people come to complain about how much it sucks to tell people about the amazing schools that you're applying to.

I feel the same way though 8)

User avatar
abcde12345

Bronze
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by abcde12345 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm

banjo wrote:I just say "all the usual suspects -- columbia, nyu, chicago, duke, penn, etc." It also comes off less-douchey if you mix in three state schools like I just did.
180

User avatar
bernaldiaz

Gold
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:27 pm

banjo wrote:I just say "all the usual suspects -- columbia, nyu, chicago, duke, penn, etc." It also comes off less-douchey if you mix in three state schools like I just did.
I count zero state schools haha (although I'm guessing that's the joke-- I get Chicago and Penn, but what would the third one be?).

In fairness to Sinfiery it sounds like he doesn't actually say "I'm a shoe-in at Columbia."

I usually just say something like, "I'm applying to the top 10 or 15 and I'll see who takes me."

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17148
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
banjo wrote:I just say "all the usual suspects -- columbia, nyu, chicago, duke, penn, etc." It also comes off less-douchey if you mix in three state schools like I just did.
I count zero state schools haha (although I'm guessing that's the joke-- I get Chicago and Penn, but what would the third one be?).
The one that's named after its own state. Obviously a state school.

User avatar
bernaldiaz

Gold
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Reasons why Columbia is Just Slightly Behind HYS

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
banjo wrote:I just say "all the usual suspects -- columbia, nyu, chicago, duke, penn, etc." It also comes off less-douchey if you mix in three state schools like I just did.
I count zero state schools haha (although I'm guessing that's the joke-- I get Chicago and Penn, but what would the third one be?).
The one that's named after its own state. Obviously a state school.
Duh. I am not a clever man.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”