How do I word this on my resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Post Reply
User avatar
Steve2207

Bronze
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

How do I word this on my resume?

Post by Steve2207 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 pm

I’m trying to finish up a resume that is required to be included on a couple of my applications. I’m listing my internship separately from my work experience, and don’t really know what to say about it that would be catchy. I interned for a county court, but didn’t do much more than observe the cases day to day. Here is what I have so far,

MyCounty Court, USA
*Two-Hundred hour completion of courtroom observations

That sounds generic I know, and I’d like at least one more bullet but can’t think of a catchy way to say that I witnessed the practice of a variety of different legal areas, I’ve been hung up on how to say this for a couple of days. Anyone have a knack for wording things well? Thanks!

rad lulz

Platinum
Posts: 9807
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Post by rad lulz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:20 pm

That was literally the only thing you did?

User avatar
Steve2207

Bronze
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Post by Steve2207 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:26 pm

rad lulz wrote:That was literally the only thing you did?
Pretty much, I was allowed to witness pre-trial negotiations on a couple of occasions. But didn’t do much other than observe, call the next parties into the courtroom, and run to the clerk’s office a couple of times to get some paperwork the judge needed.

westie25

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Post by westie25 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Did you just intern for the court or for a particular office (e.g. prosecutor's, public defenders)?

User avatar
Steve2207

Bronze
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Post by Steve2207 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 pm

westie25 wrote:Did you just intern for the court or for a particular office (e.g. prosecutor's, public defenders)?
I interned for the court, under the Judge. It was really a great experience, but there wasnt much for me to do other than basicly shadow him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


westie25

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Post by westie25 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
westie25 wrote:Did you just intern for the court or for a particular office (e.g. prosecutor's, public defenders)?
I interned for the court, under the Judge. It was really a great experience, but there wasnt much for me to do other than basicly shadow him.
Try something such as:

-Responsible for calling the judge's docket. (If that's what calling up the parties involved means. If not, find a way to spin it this way. Also, put the division and/or Judge's name. E.g. "Responsible for calling Judge Smith's Division 21 docket.)
-Gathered (or retrieved) imperative court documents for the judge (put the name).
-Observed pre-trial preps and 200+ hours of trials.

Hope this helps!

User avatar
Steve2207

Bronze
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Post by Steve2207 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:26 pm

westie25 wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:
westie25 wrote:Did you just intern for the court or for a particular office (e.g. prosecutor's, public defenders)?
I interned for the court, under the Judge. It was really a great experience, but there wasnt much for me to do other than basicly shadow him.
Try something such as:

-Responsible for calling the judge's docket. (If that's what calling up the parties involved means. If not, find a way to spin it this way. Also, put the division and/or Judge's name. E.g. "Responsible for calling Judge Smith's Division 21 docket.)
-Gathered (or retrieved) imperative court documents for the judge (put the name).
-Observed pre-trial preps and 200+ hours of trials.

Hope this helps!
The thing is I only did those things a couple times, and that makes it sound like I did them regularly.

User avatar
risa

Bronze
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Post by risa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
westie25 wrote:
Try something such as:

-Responsible for calling the judge's docket. (If that's what calling up the parties involved means. If not, find a way to spin it this way. Also, put the division and/or Judge's name. E.g. "Responsible for calling Judge Smith's Division 21 docket.)
-Gathered (or retrieved) imperative court documents for the judge (put the name) and otherwise assisted with courtroom operation as needed
-Observed pre-trial preps and 200+ hours of trials *perhaps list types of cases you observed

Hope this helps!
The thing is I only did those things a couple times, and that makes it sound like I did them regularly.
If you're really concerned about that you could add something like "as needed" at the end... See what I did with the example above...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”