not sure if i have a misdemeanor? HELP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calidancer2

Bronze

not sure if i have a misdemeanor? HELP

Post by calidancer2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 pm

. problem solved, deleting since i'm still applying. thanks all!
Last edited by calidancer2 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabanist

Silver

Re: not sure if i have a misdemeanor? HELP

Post by sabanist » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm

From what I recall, several apps I looked at required disclosure of anything other than parking tickets. I would go ahead and write something short and simple about it and send it everywhere that asks for anything more than felonies. I wouldn't worry about figuring out whether it was an actual misdemeanor. Hell, I'm from Georgia and I don't even know whether it is.
Worst case scenario, you confess to a speeding ticket that you didn't have to; your other worst case scenario is the bar thinking you lied.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Last edited by calidancer2 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Last edited by calidancer2 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Do applications ask for all misdemeanors, no matter how old? I got a ticket back in 1991 or so for "entering or remaining in a park after closing", which as far as I can tell is just a violation of the local city code. I got a ticket at the scene, mailed in my fine and that was that. I'm not even sure if it was a misdemeanor in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm

calidancer2 wrote: On X, I received a speeding ticket for speeding less than 12 MPH over the posted speed limit in Georgia. I paid the electronic citation payment of $X online in X. Otherwise, I have a clean driving record and assume full responsibility for this one-time offense.
tbh, I would leave it at this, and I would answer "yes" to the misdemeanor question. It sucks, but really, this shouldn't hurt you at all unless you try to cover it up.
Everyone speeds, ESPECIALLY in Georgia. I cannot imagine any school for which you are otherwise qualified holding a one-time offense against you. If you had several tickets that showed a pattern of reckless driving, that might be a different story, but you don't. You'll be okay.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Last edited by calidancer2 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Follow-up question: will law firms see this as a red flag? i know i'm being overparanoid right now, but I'm concerned this could hurt my future in any way. /paranoidparrot

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:11 pm

No one will care. It's just a test to see if you're honest.

Don't include the line about speeding less than 12 mph over the limit, just say you received a ticket for speeding. It sounds like you're trying to justify yourself and that doesn't look good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:09 pm

cinephile wrote:No one will care. It's just a test to see if you're honest.

Don't include the line about speeding less than 12 mph over the limit, just say you received a ticket for speeding. It sounds like you're trying to justify yourself and that doesn't look good.

got it, thank you. just wasn't sure if since it's a misdemeanor if they would think i was going 20+ over which is a much bigger deal obviously.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Seriously, my application included the phrase, "I may have more traffic tickets than this but I have listed everything I remember."

It is a misdemeanor in name only. No one will care.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 pm

JCFindley wrote:Seriously, my application included the phrase, "I may have more traffic tickets than this but I have listed everything I remember."

It is a misdemeanor in name only. No one will care.

yousa baller. thank you for calming me down.

DougieFresh

New

Post by DougieFresh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Do applications ask for all misdemeanors, no matter how old? I got a ticket back in 1991 or so for "entering or remaining in a park after closing", which as far as I can tell is just a violation of the local city code. I got a ticket at the scene, mailed in my fine and that was that. I'm not even sure if it was a misdemeanor in the first place.
Each application seems to word their questions a bit different. Some include the stipulation of asking for juvenille and expunged records, others ask about the past five years. It depends on the school.

I would contact the city where you got the ticket and get clarification, to be sure.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 am

In Texas speeding tickets are a misdemeanor. A decent amount of apps say to report all of these. Some say you can leave out any minor traffic violations so I wouldn't submit one there.

It sucks because I got my first and only ticket about 1 month before I plan on submitting my apps lol.

Won't hurt but just a minor nuisance we have to deal with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”