Consensus on LSAT Averaging Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Teflon_Don

Bronze

Consensus on LSAT Averaging

Post by Teflon_Don » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:24 pm

So, do schools generally do this? I heard they were going more towards just caring about the higher score. So, do schools that say they average ACTUALLY average? Or is it just to seem more holistic, etc.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Re: Consensus on LSAT Averaging

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm

No matter what they "claim" schools do not average scores. At the most, the may take retakes into "account" (What that means is up for debate.. usually interpreted as a "tie-breaker" in the event that every other facet of app is exactly equal, which almost never happens). The reason for this is that only your highest score is reported to US News and used in the rankings/medians. Because of this, it's in schools best interest to take only the highest, and with decrease in applications over the past couple years, schools cannot afford to shoot themselves in the foot for no reason.

Every shred of evidence we have suggests that (all other things being equal.. mainly GPA) someone with a 160 & a 170 will always do better than someone with a 169. Averaging is a myth.. they take your highest score.

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm

great info thanks! Also, do you know what GPA is submitted to US News? Is it the GPA you apply with, or final undergrad GPA (if you graduate in May, for instance)?

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:34 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:Every shred of evidence we have suggests that (all other things being equal.. mainly GPA) someone with a 160 & a 170 will always do better than someone with a 169. Averaging is a myth.. they take your highest score.
I can verify this from the experiences of my clients. Even with schools that continue to insist they average, the results don't bear this out. Several years ago the ABA changed its school reporting requirements for matriculating students from average LSAT score to the highest score.

I'm not sure why some schools continue to state or even imply they consider anything but the highest score, but if you're considering a retake, it's important that you know averaging really is a myth.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:38 pm

W&C is right. Averaging scores would put schools at a competitive disadvantage against their peers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:14 am

Teflon_Don wrote:great info thanks! Also, do you know what GPA is submitted to US News? Is it the GPA you apply with, or final undergrad GPA (if you graduate in May, for instance)?
GPA with which you apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”