Importance of the LSAC GPA over regular GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
maxalexander

New

Importance of the LSAC GPA over regular GPA

Post by maxalexander » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I transferred to Vanderbilt from a top-4 public school. My Freshman GPA was horrible and Vanderbilt allowed my GPA to be wiped clean when I transferred. My freshman GPA was probably a 3.1, first semester of sophomore year was a 3.5, second semester was 3.7. My Vanderbilt GPA will probably be a 3.85 upon graduation. As a result, my transcript will say that my GPA is a 3.85, but my LSAC GPA will be much lower. How will this affect my acceptance into law schools? When looking to apply should I go off the GPA on my transcript or my LSAC GPA when looking where to apply? Will it help that my GPA at a moderately good school wasn't initially great but upon entering a (in my opinion) prestigious college, my GPA was near perfect?
Thank you for your help.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Importance of the LSAC GPA over regular GPA

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm

LSAC is what matters entirely. Srry bro.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:LSAC is what matters entirely. Srry bro.
This is correct. Sorry OP.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:37 pm

I wouldn't jump to a conclusion one way or the other. The admissions process has so many subjective (and unpredictable) factors.

You might look better to someone reviewing your application as one who dramatically improved (from no laude to summa cum laude), relative to one who remained in the upper range throughout his or her education.

It seems like you've been duly diligent in recent times and I think that's something law schools will not overlook--notwithstanding a rough start.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:43 pm

LexLeon wrote:I wouldn't jump to a conclusion one way or the other. The admissions process has so many subjective (and unpredictable) factors.
Taking a look at LSN will rapidly disburse you of this notion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 pm

I wouldn't jump to a conclusion one way or the other. The admissions process has so many subjective (and unpredictable) factors.
What conclusion would that be? That Law schools only report the LSAC GPA to US News and it's the only number used to establish the medians and 75th/25th percentiles? That because your UG didn't care about your freshman year, law schools will accept the hit to their GPA median for "subjective factors."

Sure, the admissions committees might appreciate your "upward trend," in the sense that if you and someone else with identical LSAT/LSAC GPA's + comparable other softs are on the border it could help a bit, but by no means will they give a shit about your non-LSAC UG GPA. To think otherwise is retarded.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:
LexLeon wrote:I wouldn't jump to a conclusion one way or the other. The admissions process has so many subjective (and unpredictable) factors.
While at the same time disabusing you of that notion.

OP a 3.1 isn't even that bad. All you can do now is retake the LSAT.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
While at the same time disabusing you of that notion.

OP a 3.1 isn't even that bad. All you can do now is retake the LSAT.
Whoops phone autocorrect is funny.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:49 pm

"As a result, my [Vanderbilt] transcript will say that my GPA is a 3.85, but my [cumulative undergraduate] GPA will be much lower."

There, I fixed it for you.

My Freshman GPA was horrible and Vanderbilt allowed my GPA to be wiped clean when I transferred.
No real big 'allowance' here, however. I don't know of any college that adds anothers' grades to their its transcripts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:25 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
What conclusion would that be? That Law schools only report the LSAC GPA to US News and it's the only number used to establish the medians and 75th/25th percentiles? That because your UG didn't care about your freshman year, law schools will accept the hit to their GPA median for "subjective factors."

Sure, the admissions committees might appreciate your "upward trend," in the sense that if you and someone else with identical LSAT/LSAC GPA's + comparable other softs are on the border it could help a bit, but by no means will they give a shit about your non-LSAC UG GPA. To think otherwise is retarded.
Right, law schools see high medians as ends in themselves: "by no means will they give a shit about your non-LSAC UG GPA."

Wrong.

Above all, law schools want good (academically excellent) students that will make tangible contributions to their university and the world (for a variety of reasons).

Admissions officers are not machines programmed to eliminate people with low numbers.

Though medians are a criterion on which schools' overall rankings are based, numbers' importance is subsidiary to softer factors. A high GPA is certainly indicative of academic excellence and commitment; but it's actually the academic excellence and commitment which is desirable, not the mere number which reflects it. It is the primary and single most important reason schools seek people with high GPA's.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 pm

LexLeon wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:

Right, law schools see high medians as ends in themselves: "by no means will they give a shit about your non-LSAC UG GPA."

Wrong.

Above all, law schools want good (academically excellent) students that will make tangible contributions to their university and the world (for a variety of reasons).

Admissions officers are not machines programmed to eliminate people with low numbers.

Though medians are a criterion on which schools' overall rankings are based, numbers' importance is subsidiary to softer factors. A high GPA is certainly indicative of academic excellence and commitment; but it's actually the academic excellence and commitment which is desirable, not the mere number which reflects it. It is the primary and single most important reason schools seek people with high GPA's.
The goal is to get your numbers high enough that you don't have to worry about soft factors breaking the tie between you and Boring-Whitey McBoarderton when you both have statistically identical numbers. OP, it sounds like your GPA won't be too low between three years of 3.85 balanced with only one year of 3.1. Kill the LSAT and profit, but don't like feel good mumbo jumbo make you soft. You should be aiming for the highest LSAT score, even if you have a 4.33.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 pm

LexLeon wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:

Wrong.

it's a tie breaker against someone with a similar GPA (within +- .05), but won't let you outperform.
Remember, as a fresh out of college kid, all they have is your GPA and your LSAT score - just about every applicant has had a leadership position or a semester abroad, or whatever you think makes you special. Truth is, easily 9 out of 10 applicants are no different and will be judged solely on their numbers (and yes, an improving GPA is better than a candidate whose GPA has been steady all 4 years, but not by much)

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 pm

LexLeon wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:

Wrong.

One look at lawschoolnumbers.com will rapidly disabuse you of this notion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:07 am

rad lulz wrote: One look at lawschoolnumbers.com will rapidly disabuse you of this notion.
Surprised you had to say this twice already. Is there an extra dose of dumb in the on topics today?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:10 am

I don't know why you guys are arguing with Aslan.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 am

LexLeon wrote:Above all, law schools want good (academically excellent) students that will make tangible contributions to their university and the world (for a variety of reasons).

The first statement is true, but they can, for the most part, find someone with the numbers they're looking for without having to throw out a year of grades. While numbers are down, there are still more people applying to law school than there are seats to fill. You won't out-perform your numbers in any significant way with an upward trend.

The second statement is true, but they have people who work in the office that fill this role. Some schools will give a fair shake to every applicant; most will only give a brief consideration to someone without the numbers (if that much).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”