Does it ever make sense to apply to only one school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunynp

Gold

Does it ever make sense to apply to only one school?

Post by sunynp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:36 am

From a thread yesterday, where I advocated for applying broadly. OP of that thread has rich spouse so doesn't care about cost yet can't consider moving. Her lowish gpa of 3.3 and predicted mid 160s LSAT don't help her. There is only one t1 school near her.

What do you guys think? Does it ever make sense to only apply to one school ?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6#p5804456

TheZoid

Bronze

Re: Does it ever make sense to apply to only one school?

Post by TheZoid » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 am

No, apply broadly and negotiate scholarships. Even if the spouse is rich, why piss the money away if you don't have to.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 am

I could see how it could make sense for non-traditional applicants or a married person who's spouse has a decent career going in one city or someone with a young family already established in an area. I can't imagine picking up a couple of toddlers, for example, and moving across the country without some of my family around for help and support.

If the reality is that you aren't going to be moving out of an area regardless of what you are offered, then focusing on the one school in the area is not a horrendous thing I guess. However, I feel safe to say that most people applying are at least willing to entertain the prospect of moving to a place they've never lived before. Most are in their early 20s, with few commitments beyond themselves and their lives, so moving is not that big of a deal when all you really have to worry about is finding an apartment. Parents of young kids may have a more difficult transition from one place to another, for example, if they have to enroll their kids in school too.

If I were in that position, I would apply to at least a handful just to be able to try and leverage some scholarship money where I want to attend. But to each his own.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 am

Even if you KNOW which school you would attend, you should still apply to other peer schools for the scholly leverage.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 am

TheZoid wrote:No, apply broadly and negotiate scholarships. Even if the spouse is rich, why piss the money away if you don't have to.
Because, if you're wealthy enough, the possibility of saving some money might not be worth the hassle of submitting more than one application, haggling with admissions offices, etc.

Yes, I know the extra effort is very, very minimal, but I guarantee you there are a lot of wealthy people out there who feel this way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 am

Swimp wrote:a lot of wealthy people out there who feel this way.
Not applicable to 99% of law school applicants.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Swimp wrote:a lot of wealthy people out there who feel this way.
Not applicable to 99% of law school applicants.
Of course not, but OP's question was 'Does it EVER make sense...,' and the example he gave was unusual.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am

The other problem I see with this, is there is still a chance you won't get accepted. If your numbers are below median and you want to be a lawyer I don't think you can assume anything regarding admissions.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am

sunynp wrote:The other problem I see with this, is there is still a chance you won't get accepted.
Not sure if this is a problem or the best possible outcome.
Swimp wrote:Of course not, but OP's question was 'Does it EVER make sense...'
LAW STUDENTS

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:52 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Even if you KNOW which school you would attend, you should still apply to other peer schools for the scholly leverage.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”