Low GPA/High LSAT URM, Longterm Chronic Illness Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ortus_panthera

New

Low GPA/High LSAT URM, Longterm Chronic Illness

Post by ortus_panthera » Sun May 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help and taking the time to read this post.

So here's the deal. I'm a gay, AA male. I'm graduating from a top 20 liberal arts college with GPA likely between 3.1-3.2. My practice LSATs are averaging between 164-171. I'll likely be graduating with thesis honors and have had plenty of prestigious scholarships, internships and awards. I just finished writing a 30 page report on 3 Strikes legislation for a prominent Harvard Law Professor as well.

With that in my mind, my gpa has been consistently low due to the fact that I've been battling HIV for the last few years. My major gpa is a great deal higher than that of my overall. I'm also a first gen. college student from a single parent home (mom only made it to 8th grade and is deaf). I've worked at least 30 hours per week since I was 16 and still continue to send money home to my mother and 3 younger siblings (I have 2 jobs and an internship). I'm graduating with civic honors and likely thesis honors. I've been quite involved with service learning and am president of a few clubs on campus. I lead the movement at my school to create an African American Studies Program..after 40 years in the waiting and have been honored by the schol Prez as such. I'm also a "public service scholar" here on campus.

My dream school is UCLA, mostly due to their Critical Race Studies program. What do you think my chances are? Especially if I don't break 170? Thanks in advance.

dowu

Platinum

Re: Low GPA/High LSAT URM, Longterm Chronic Illness

Post by dowu » Sun May 20, 2012 6:00 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 20, 2012 6:05 pm

ortus_panthera wrote:Hey everyone,

So here's the deal. I'm a gay, AA male. I'm graduating from a top 20 liberal arts college with GPA likely between 3.1-3.2. My practice LSATs are averaging between 164-171. I'll likely be graduating with thesis honors and have had plenty of prestigious scholarships, internships and awards. I just finished writing a 30 page report on 3 Strikes legislation for a prominent Harvard Law Professor as well.

With that in my mind, my gpa has been consistently low due to the fact that I've been battling HIV for the last few years. My major gpa is a great deal higher than that of my overall. I'm also a first gen. college student from a single parent home (mom only made it to 8th grade and is deaf). I've worked at least 30 hours per week since I was 16 and still continue to send money home to my mother and 3 younger siblings (I have 2 jobs and an internship). I'm graduating with civic honors and likely thesis honors. I've been quite involved with service learning and am president of a few clubs on campus. I lead the movement at my school to create an African American Studies Program..after 40 years in the waiting and have been honored by the schol Prez as such. I'm also a "public service scholar" here on campus.

My dream school is UCLA, mostly due to their Critical Race Studies program. What do you think my chances are? Especially if I don't break 170? Thanks in advance.
If you hit 169, you're in. Look up the user JustE. He's had a ton of success with relatively low numbers as an AA male applicant.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun May 20, 2012 6:07 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ortus_panthera wrote:Hey everyone,

If you hit 169, you're in. Look up the user JustE. He's had a ton of success with relatively low numbers as an AA male applicant.

Agreed. I'm sorry, I didnt chance UCLA in itself - but yes, I agree with JMMFJ.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:11 pm

It's always better to chance someone with a real LSAT score, but in case you hit 170, definitely aim higher than UCLA. You'll find that specialty rankings do not mean much when it comes to employment.

I personally know two AA males at HLS who had 3.2/170+ stats. If you hit your PT scores on the real thing, blanket the T20. I imagine you'll end up at a T14 and be surprised by how much money you'll get thrown at you.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ortus_panthera

New

Post by ortus_panthera » Sun May 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Thank you to everyone who has replied so quickly, I'm definitely digging the positive feeback/vibes.

I'm not too debt averse. I have almost no debt coming out of school, but I also intend to work in public service and eventually teach law. I'd like to have a somewhat comfortable life ha.

I'd like to be in the bay or SoCal. I'm not really a fan of winter, but if some boston/nyc/dc schools say yes and throw $$ my way, I'd be rather pleased and it'd be hard to say no.

Thanks again. JustE's numbers were quite encouraging, as were Miracle's.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 pm

If you can't handle college courses well because of long term illness I am not sure why law school and a career in law would be a good idea. Law school is a really long drag and the career itself is a long slog, constantly learning new things. Its important to be able to be on top of your game all the time.

I'm not sure why its important that your major GPA is better than your required courses GPA. There are a lot of required courses or courses you'll have to take in law school that won't be of great interest to you., besides the ones you want to take. You'll have to figure out how to do well in things you don't like in addition to things you like.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun May 20, 2012 7:17 pm

MrAnon wrote:If you can't handle college courses well because of long term illness I am not sure why law school and a career in law would be a good idea. Law school is a really long drag and the career itself is a long slog, constantly learning new things. Its important to be able to be on top of your game all the time.

I'm not sure why its important that your major GPA is better than your required courses GPA. There are a lot of required courses or courses you'll have to take in law school that won't be of great interest to you., besides the ones you want to take. You'll have to figure out how to do well in things you don't like in addition to things you like.
I have no idea how this has anything to do with his chances at law school. FTFY.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:01 pm

ortus_panthera wrote:Thank you to everyone who has replied so quickly, I'm definitely digging the positive feeback/vibes.

I'm not too debt averse. I have almost no debt coming out of school, but I also intend to work in public service and eventually teach law. I'd like to have a somewhat comfortable life ha.

I'd like to be in the bay or SoCal. I'm not really a fan of winter, but if some boston/nyc/dc schools say yes and throw $$ my way, I'd be rather pleased and it'd be hard to say no.

Thanks again. JustE's numbers were quite encouraging, as were Miracle's.
Stanford be will tough with your GPA, but I say try for Berkeley. I know they are also GPA whores but a friend of mine got accepted and was offered a damn near full ride at Berkeley. He was AA 3.15/164. Definitely put together a compelling application, complete with the four-page PS and DS describing your illness, and I'd say you have a good shot!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ortus_panthera

New

Post by ortus_panthera » Sun May 20, 2012 8:38 pm

MrAnon wrote:If you can't handle college courses well because of long term illness I am not sure why law school and a career in law would be a good idea. Law school is a really long drag and the career itself is a long slog, constantly learning new things. Its important to be able to be on top of your game all the time.

A reasonable response. It's not that I can't handle courses, it was the accumulation of adjusting to college, providing for sibilings/parent, and the shock and early management of the illness. I mentioned my major GPA because these are higher level courses that have been taken at the later stages of my academic career. My lower gpa is not a result of a lack of discipline. I do appreciate your candor, though, I think I will be quite fine in the "long drag." As that has been my life ha.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon May 21, 2012 1:47 pm

ortus_panthera wrote:

A reasonable response. It's not that I can't handle courses, it was the accumulation of adjusting to college, providing for sibilings/parent, and the shock and early management of the illness. I mentioned my major GPA because these are higher level courses that have been taken at the later stages of my academic career. My lower gpa is not a result of a lack of discipline. I do appreciate your candor, though, I think I will be quite fine in the "long drag." As that has been my life ha.
Just to add on to all of the other advice, you're the type of student that ends up as a weird blip on LSN. If you hit your target LSAT, definitely send applications to any school in which you have an interest because I believe you'd at least have a shot at all of them.

ChardPennington

Silver

Post by ChardPennington » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 pm

None of this matter until come before us holding in hand real, bona fide LSAT SCORE, glisten in actual sunlight three numerals of known size make much impression unlike wimpy hypothetical testings, yes?

In mean time, can only say your long-term use of illest chronic probably not hurt you, but is bad idea write personal statementings about travel on van with American Dave Matthews Band, no?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon May 21, 2012 7:02 pm

ChardPennington wrote:None of this matter until come before us holding in hand real, bona fide LSAT SCORE, glisten in actual sunlight three numerals of known size make much impression unlike wimpy hypothetical testings, yes?

In mean time, can only say your long-term use of illest chronic probably not hurt you, but is bad idea write personal statementings about travel on van with American Dave Matthews Band, no?
Okay, this post was better. Im still ntsurifsrs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”