$38,000 Cardozo Scholly Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
psach44

Bronze

$38,000 Cardozo Scholly

Post by psach44 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am

Cardozo called me last night (about two weeks after I applied which is pretty cool) to tell me that I was admitted with u huge scholarship.

I havent heard back from anyone but I was wondering if there is a way to guage from Cardozo's approval of me whether or not other schools will be similarly interested.

I didnt have the GREATEST numbers (165/3.77) but I did have an extremely interesting profile (I have two degrees, wrote a great PS, great LOR's).

I applied to Fordham, Columbia, NYU, Penn and Harvard and while I dont expect the greatest news from them (except Fordham hopefully) I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a symbolic gesture...?

Thanks.

cloudhidden

Bronze

Re: $38,000 Cardozo Scholly

Post by cloudhidden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

Congratulations but I don't think that necessarily means you outperformed your numbers. Cardozo is very generous with scholarships and has been trying to improve in the rankings, which is a double edged sword because while the school should have a bright future, it's reputation won't quite be in the ballpark of fordham anytime soon. Good luck with your other schools, I'm sure that you will get at least another offer and you can certainly try to negotiate with your offers.

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

Is that per year?

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 am

psach44 wrote:Cardozo called me last night (about two weeks after I applied which is pretty cool) to tell me that I was admitted with u huge scholarship.

I havent heard back from anyone but I was wondering if there is a way to guage from Cardozo's approval of me whether or not other schools will be similarly interested.

I didnt have the GREATEST numbers (165/3.77) but I did have an extremely interesting profile (I have two degrees, wrote a great PS, great LOR's).

I applied to Fordham, Columbia, NYU, Penn and Harvard and while I dont expect the greatest news from them (except Fordham hopefully) I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a symbolic gesture...?

Thanks.
I don't want to be a buzzkill, so I'll start with congrats on the scholarship! A large scholarship like that certainly makes law school slightly more bearable. However, looking at LawSchoolNumbers, a large number of applicants with 166/3.6+ received significant scholarships from Cardozo. I don't see a similar result at Fordham, where not many students with those number got a scholarship at all. I hate to say it, but unless you're a URM, I would venture a guess that you'd be out at all of the schools you listed except for Fordham. I don't think I would see this as a symbolic gesture with regards to future acceptances. I hope I'm wrong, good luck either way!

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 am

yes, per year...

pretty cool of them.

considering i didnt even really decide if i am for sure going to school as i have a pretty good job now but when things are that "free" it makes it that much more compelling...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 am

psach44 wrote:yes, per year...

pretty cool of them.

considering i didnt even really decide if i am for sure going to school as i have a pretty good job now but when things are that "free" it makes it that much more compelling...
Just out of curiosity, why are you considering law school? Remember, that even with that scholarship, Cardozo is far from free when you calculate in the high cost of living in NYC, as well as any opportunity cost as a result of leaving your good job for three years.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 am

1. I already live in NYC

2. Its a family business so theres no really "leaving" my job

I have a different predicament than most and I am thankful for that, however, I wanted the degree as a safety net just to have post graduate skills.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 am

Fordham is notoriously stingy with scholarships but if you already live in NY and your living expenses are covered (not sure if this is true just what i gathered) then Cardozo for 9 or 10 k a year isnt an awful decision

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 am

psach44 wrote:1. I already live in NYC

2. Its a family business so theres no really "leaving" my job

I have a different predicament than most and I am thankful for that, however, I wanted the degree as a safety net just to have post graduate skills.
Dude law school doesn't give you any meaningful skills. It's just a credential. What do you mean by "safety net?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I didnt mean skills in the sense that I am going to be empowered to take over the world.

I meant it in the way that it at least affords me the opportunity to interview for a law firm and to be on my own if life takes me down that path.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 pm

psach44 wrote:I meant it in the way that it at least affords me the opportunity to interview for a law firm and to be on my own if life takes me down that path.
This is why law school gets such a bad rap. Because of people like you.

Have fun.

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 pm

oh really?

i genuinely and deeply am remoresful for defaming the good name of law school

what the hell does that mean you clown?

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 pm

psach44 wrote:oh really?

it means do not go to law school if you do not definitely want to eb a lawyer its a waste of three years of your life

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 pm

A law firm won't want to hire you after you've spent time doing non legal stuff, because you seem uncommitted to law and don't have any skills to boot. Doing non legal work after school is basically the death knell of a legal career.

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Grizz wrote:

A law firm won't want to hire you after you've spent time doing non legal stuff, because you seem uncommitted to law and don't have any skills to boot. Doing non legal work after school is basically the death knell of a legal career.
Disclaimer: the above might be a guess. The author may not know enough to state an objective opinion. This may not be credited.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Disclaimer: the above might be a guess. The author may not know enough to state an objective opinion. This may not be credited.
It's actually quite credited. Unless you're coming right out of school, law firms are quite reluctant to hire associates without extensive legal/policy experience.

thelogicalconstruct

New

Post by thelogicalconstruct » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:46 pm

That's great news! I have a friend who attends Cardozo and loves it! You have two options really ...

[*]Take the scholarship and come out out law school with minimal debt.
[*]Not take the scholarship and graduate with 100+k in loans.

but first examine your reasons:

- Are you coming straight out of college?
If you have been working for a while taking 3 years without income can be hard. I recommend heavily weighing the scholarship. Remember big law tend to not to hire older law school grads. They want people who will work for them 80+ hours a week. So paying off debt will be harder to do without the 140k/year.

- How much debt do you currently have?
Do you want to take on more debt? Are you okay with taking on 100+k in debt?

- How are you paying for law school?
If money is not the issue wait it out.

- Are you planning onto going to big law?
Big law will help you pay off those nasty loans in a reasonable amount of time. However you have to be top of your class at a T20 school.

- What are your desires for a JD?
Law school does not teach the business of a lawyer. It only teaches you theory. Make sure that this is what you want.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”