background check Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jasonkramer

New

background check

Post by jasonkramer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:11 pm

would it be a good idea to get a background and criminal history check prior to sending in applications?

if so, how would i do this?

i would like the minimize the chance of rejection as much as possible.

alevin

New

Re: background check

Post by alevin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:13 pm

No. Waste of money. Just answer the character and fitness questions honestly.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Depends what you're expecting to find.
Generally, I think the better advice is to just be open and honest with them.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Is this a joke? I know TLSer's can be neurotic, but...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jasonkramer

New

Post by jasonkramer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:52 pm

bee wrote:
jasonkramer wrote:would it be a good idea to get a background and criminal history check prior to sending in applications?

lolwut. No, unless you're expecting it to turn something up, in which case you would still have to answer C&F questions honestly.

i have no idea if i will turn up anything. i have 3 things i am concerned about that i want to look in to so i can be fully prepared.

1. in 2004 i got kicked out of a California job corps center for attempted assault with a deadly weapon. i would assume this is on my police record even though the sheriffs was never called. i was simply shipped back to Sacramento. weather it is on my record or not will help determine how i present it later.

2. next is the one i worry about. in 2008 i was disqualified from the Sacramento police department. i presume its because i admitted to selling the last of my Vicodin medication to a friend. this would of course be a felony that i stupidly confessed to. obviously i am an idiot for thinking that being honest about an event that only and and one other person could know about was the right thing to do.

3. the least of my worry's is that my uncle may have stole my identity. he did it to two of my cousins so he may have done so with me too.

i would like to be prepared for everything.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Do a background check in the states you think there might be a chance of arrests or convictions on your record and an FBI check which will cover the entire country.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:09 pm

jasonkramer wrote:
bee wrote:
jasonkramer wrote:would it be a good idea to get a background and criminal history check prior to sending in applications?

lolwut. No, unless you're expecting it to turn something up, in which case you would still have to answer C&F questions honestly.

i have no idea if i will turn up anything. i have 3 things i am concerned about that i want to look in to so i can be fully prepared.

1. in 2004 i got kicked out of a California job corps center for attempted assault with a deadly weapon. i would assume this is on my police record even though the sheriffs was never called. i was simply shipped back to Sacramento. weather it is on my record or not will help determine how i present it later.

2. next is the one i worry about. in 2008 i was disqualified from the Sacramento police department. i presume its because i admitted to selling the last of my Vicodin medication to a friend. this would of course be a felony that i stupidly confessed to. obviously i am an idiot for thinking that being honest about an event that only and and one other person could know about was the right thing to do.

3. the least of my worry's is that my uncle may have stole my identity. he did it to two of my cousins so he may have done so with me too.

1 and 2: Unless the police were notified and charges were filed, how would this be on your criminal record?
3. Get a free credit report online if you're worried he's using your identify for credit reasons. If you think he's using it when he gets arrested, then get a state background check and see if anything comes up- make sure you get it through the state and not through a third-party website.

jasonkramer

New

Post by jasonkramer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:17 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:
jasonkramer wrote:
bee wrote:

1 and 2: Unless the police were notified and charges were filed, how would this be on your criminal record?
3. Get a free credit report online if you're worried he's using your identify for credit reasons. If you think he's using it when he gets arrested, then get a state background check and see if anything comes up- make sure you get it through the state and not through a third-party website.
To make things clear, I know absolutely nothing about domestic law. All my UG courses have been in international law. International law is what I intent to practice after law school.

For 1 & 2 I can’t imagine some law enforcement agency not having some sort of record of them. Since 1 was done on federal property, I would expect some federal agency to have at least some record of it. Yet, if I look and it’s not there it should be easier for me to play down to being young and stupid. If it is written as a criminal record it may be harder for me to distance myself from.

With 2 I would also expect it to be on my record. While no charges were filed, I would expect the police department to have a record of it. Why wouldn't they have it on record that some idiot that wanted to get hired confessed to a felony? On the other hand, if there is no record of it at all then I can ignore it. I can’t imagine the police not placing it on my record. Something like "while this individual was not charged with a crime, he did admit to committing one."

I understand I am most likely worrying over nothing. But that doesn’t erase the fact I am paranoid about it. It would really suck to go through 3 years of law school and find out that the omission or false representation of my record kept me from being able to practice as a lawyer.

With 3 ill will do the credit check ASAP. Thank you all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Read the application. Does it ask to disclose all arrests/citations/sanctions? You only have to disclose what it asks you to disclose. Read carefully.

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Jesus man listen to yourself. They dont just place things on criminal records for the heck of it. If there were no criminal charges or no arrests it is not on a...wait for it....CRIMINAL OR ARREST RECORD. Its really quite that simple. A law enforcement agency having a record of something is not the same as a criminal or arrest record.

Law schools and C&F are asking for arrest/convicitions..not undetected criminal activity. Admitting to something in an employment application doesnt generate a police record.

Bottom line is if you have a criminal record, you would know. usually comes with shiny bracelets and a visit to an older gentlemen wearing a black robe.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:45 pm

wannabejag wrote:Jesus man listen to yourself. They dont just place things on criminal records for the heck of it. If there were no criminal charges or no arrests it is not on a...wait for it....CRIMINAL OR ARREST RECORD. Its really quite that simple. A law enforcement agency having a record of something is not the same as a criminal or arrest record.

Law schools and C&F are asking for arrest/convicitions..not undetected criminal activity. Admitting to something in an employment application doesnt generate a police record.

Bottom line is if you have a criminal record, you would know. usually comes with shiny bracelets and a visit to an older gentlemen wearing a black robe.
This.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”