I hate to do this, but do I have to disclose this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dream Machine

Bronze

I hate to do this, but do I have to disclose this?

Post by Dream Machine » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Today I was written up by my supervisor at my on-campus job for having a bad attitude and not performing duties asked of me. I was formally written up and will receive a letter in the mail. Because it was an on-campus job at my university, do I have to dissclose this? Thanks.

emkay625

Gold

Re: I hate to do this, but do I have to disclose this?

Post by emkay625 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Today I was written up by my supervisor at my on-campus job for having a bad attitude and not performing duties asked of me. I was formally written up and will receive a letter in the mail. Because it was an on-campus job at my university, do I have to dissclose this? Thanks.
I think so - don't most apps if you have ever been formally disciplined by an employer?

FreeLolita

New

Post by FreeLolita » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Today I was written up by my supervisor at my on-campus job for having a bad attitude and not performing duties asked of me. I was formally written up and will receive a letter in the mail. Because it was an on-campus job at my university, do I have to dissclose this? Thanks.
No.

FreeLolita

New

Post by FreeLolita » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 pm

emkay625 wrote:
I think so - don't most apps if you have ever been formally disciplined by an employer?
Have you ever filled out an LS app. before?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:48 pm

No, unless specifically asked. That your employer is an educational institution does not make this an academic violation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't think you have to disclose unless it's a specific question on the application. Some schools for example ask if you've been deciplined, terminated or asked to resign from an employer (mostly on their c&f portion).

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Renzo wrote:No, unless specifically asked. That your employer is an educational institution does not make this an academic violation.
Yay! And nice avatar. :D

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Holy shit this just made me remember when I quit my on campus job freshmen year without the mandatory 2 weeks notice and was barred from another campus job unless I filled out some paperwork. I'm a 1L now and didn't disclose that...I'm not even sure what to call it or what happened (this was in 2005). Am I fucked for C&F. I lurk these boards constantly and should know better but this literally (cue Chris Trager voice) just reminded me...

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:09 am

Michaela wrote:Holy shit this just made me remember when I quit my on campus job freshmen year without the mandatory 2 weeks notice and was barred from another campus job unless I filled out some paperwork. I'm a 1L now and didn't disclose that...I'm not even sure what to call it or what happened (this was in 2005). Am I fucked for C&F. I lurk these boards constantly and should know better but this literally (cue Chris Trager voice) just reminded me...
Yea man, in all honesty, you're probably fucked. I'd email the administration ASAP and try and clear this up. And OP, I'd err on the side of caution here and disclose, disclose, disclose. Don't want to be C&F pwned like Michaela will probably be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 am

shmoo597 wrote:
Michaela wrote:Holy shit this just made me remember when I quit my on campus job freshmen year without the mandatory 2 weeks notice and was barred from another campus job unless I filled out some paperwork. I'm a 1L now and didn't disclose that...I'm not even sure what to call it or what happened (this was in 2005). Am I fucked for C&F. I lurk these boards constantly and should know better but this literally (cue Chris Trager voice) just reminded me...
Yea man, in all honesty, you're probably fucked. I'd email the administration ASAP and try and clear this up. And OP, I'd err on the side of caution here and disclose, disclose, disclose. Don't want to be C&F pwned like Michaela will probably be.
wtf are you talking about schmoo? looking at your last few posts, I am inclined to say you are just a troll.

OP, if they ask about job stuff on the app (some do), then you def have to disclose this. Otherwise, no.

Michaela - giving two weeks notice isn't mandatory anywhere in the country. It might be that institutions policy, but as you said, all it means if you don't follow it is that they are unlikely to hire you ever again. I don't see any way this can be seen as being disciplined/fired, so I don't see why or where you would have disclosed this on your app.

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:44 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Jeeeeesus. Whatever I'll ask someone in student affairs but I don't think it'll be a thing. I think my app asked if I'd ever been fired from a job and I haven't so I think I'm good. It's amazing how much you can freak about about non-finals related when you should be studying.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Michaela wrote: I'll ask someone in student affairs but I don't think it'll be a thing.
It'll be good for you to ask but you're right in thinking it shouldn't be a thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 pm

theadvancededit wrote:
Michaela wrote: I'll ask someone in student affairs but I don't think it'll be a thing.
It'll be good for you to ask but you're right in thinking it shouldn't be a thing.
If you signed something and there's documentation....think about the safe option here. It's a stupid, low-level crap job. No one will care that your 39 year old lives with 11 cats and still single boss who binges on mountain dew didn't like you. Just dont try to hide it, it's nbd.

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:07 pm

poprox wrote:
theadvancededit wrote:
If you signed something and there's documentation....think about the safe option here. It's a stupid, low-level crap job. No one will care that your 39 year old lives with 11 cats and still single boss who binges on mountain dew didn't like you. Just dont try to hide it, it's nbd.
That woman was a crazy ex-theater annoying as fuck moron.

FreeLolita

New

Post by FreeLolita » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 am

shmoo597 wrote:
You're dumb.

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 am

I wouldn't mention it. Your supervisor wrote you up? That's not a felony or a misdemeanor. It's not even a crime. If you really want to waste time on something, McPherson Square is waiting. (Occupy DC/NY now that NYers were kicked out of their park.)

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 am

No one can give you a blanket answer unless you provide us with the C&F question from the app. That said, I've never seen an app that asks for something this trivial.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”