Geographic advantage? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
splbagel

Bronze

Geographic advantage?

Post by splbagel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I've poked around but haven't found a thread addressing this question.

I'm applying to T14 schools. I grew up in a (midwestern) state which I believe is moderately underrepresented at top law schools, and I currently live in a (southern) state which is more severely underrepresented. In combination with strong numbers, should this give me any kind of slight admissions edge at national schools whose student bodies are still primarily from the coasts and big cities? Does it matter that my undergrad is most definitely NOT underrepresented at law schools?

Mostly I'm just grasping at straws here because I'm not URM and I don't expect LGBTQ will give me much of an advantage either.

emkay625

Gold

Re: Geographic advantage?

Post by emkay625 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

I do not think you will get any kind of a boost.

I do think LGBT status could give a slight edge, kind of as a tie breaking factor and the ability to write a good diversity statement.

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Hmm... I didn't write a diversity statement. I didn't think I'd have much original to say -- there's only so many "I'm queer, I've stood up for gay rights, sometimes people are jerks about it but I can hold my head up, I want to help LGBT clients in my chosen field of law" statements they can read, right? Or should I be rushing to send an addendum?

niceopposum

New

Post by niceopposum » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:14 pm

some schools reserve a fixed percentage of seats for residents (e.g. uva reserves 40%). other than that i don't think it makes a difference

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”