Character and fitness statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
neuroticjew

New

Character and fitness statement?

Post by neuroticjew » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:44 pm

In LSAC's application format, one of the character & fitness questions is whether you ever had to take time off from undergrad for any reason. I did, but only because my parents moved (I was 17 so had to move with them) out-of-state. Most law schools request that you write an explanatory essay if you answered yes to any C&F question. All other C&F questions seem to be about ethics and discipline so I'm worried that even my needing to write an essay on the subject will count against me; that adcomms will assume without reading that I was put on probation or the like. I'm looking almost entirely at T14 schools so might they be even harsher on those who need to fill out a C&F essay, even this completely innocuous one? (I'm planning to explain truthfully that my parents and I moved from Illinois to Georgia and I spent that "gap" year working on campaigns, filling out transfer applications, working, and self-educating.)

Or is this really not a big deal at all?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Character and fitness statement?

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:45 pm

I had to write one about a miscommunication that led to chapel probation. trust me, you'll be fine. Write it, but they won't care

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:48 pm

This seems like a non-issue. They are not going to see the box checked and assume the worst--that's why they ask for explanation.

FYI, it's not really clear why you had to change schools just because you moved.

neuroticjew

New

Post by neuroticjew » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:56 pm

RTFM wrote:This seems like a non-issue. They are not going to see the box checked and assume the worst--that's why they ask for explanation.

FYI, it's not really clear why you had to change schools just because you moved.
I was going to a private university where my dad taught, so tuition was free. After he left his teaching position I would have had to pay full tuition and that was obviously not financially doable.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:10 pm

neuroticjew wrote:
RTFM wrote:This seems like a non-issue. They are not going to see the box checked and assume the worst--that's why they ask for explanation.

I was going to a private university where my dad taught, so tuition was free. After he left his teaching position I would have had to pay full tuition and that was obviously not financially doable.
Makes sense, just be sure that you're clear about why you switched!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”