Unsolicited Fee Waiver Implications Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boosk

Bronze

Unsolicited Fee Waiver Implications

Post by boosk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:43 am

so I've received about 9 unsolicited fee waivers from the T14... clearly I understand that this does not guarantee admission to any of these schools, but im just wondering if there is an implied "better chance" of acceptance by receiving these. If so, how much? and is there a difference between schools in the T14 in this regard?

thanks in advance for any real advice

:evil: in advance for anything else

Curious1

Silver

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waiver Implications

Post by Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:45 am

All it means is that you're within the range of people who might conceivably apply. They want to offer waivers to people who are:

A) Much better than the people they usually get, to try to entice an application

B) Worse than the people they usually get, so they can reject you and boost selectivity.

Don't read too much into it.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 am

boosk wrote::evil: in advance for anything else
That face made me lol.

In any event, don't dig too deeply into this. Schools-- t14 included-- cast a wide, wide net of maybe applicants. And, by "maybe applicants", I mean those who may apply... not necessarily those who may get in.

But don't get discouraged-- a fee waiver may be included somewhere, perhaps.

erikjc

Bronze

Post by erikjc » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Curious1 wrote:All it means is that you're within the range of people who might conceivably apply. They want to offer waivers to people who are:

A) Much better than the people they usually get, to try to entice an application

B) Worse than the people they usually get, so they can reject you and boost selectivity.

So you're saying a fee waiver might be a bad sign? I know I don't fall into the "A" category for many of the top schools that have given me a fee waiver, so am I to assume I am in "B"? Is there any support for this dichotomy?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:56 pm

erikjc wrote:
Curious1 wrote:All it means is that you're within the range of people who might conceivably apply. They want to offer waivers to people who are:

So you're saying a fee waiver might be a bad sign? I know I don't fall into the "A" category for many of the top schools that have given me a fee waiver, so am I to assume I am in "B"? Is there any support for this dichotomy?
No there's no good or bad sign. They cast an enormous net that catches students both above their median and below...only you can know where you stand. Compare your numbers to the school's numbers from the last year.

So it's not a dichotomy--there's really a C too:

C) You're exactly within the range of the people they usually admit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”