LSAC Evaluations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clarawater

New

LSAC Evaluations

Post by clarawater » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm currently working on getting forms out to people writing my letters of recommendation. I see that there is an evaluation aspect as well.
Just a few questions about this I was hoping someone with experience could answer.

1. Do all law schools require evaluations as well as letters of recommendation? If they do not, do they still look at evaluations?
(i.e. is it better to send evaluations to schools that don't require them, or to not send them?)

2. On LSAC, once evaluations and letters are submitted, are you able to choose which letters/evaluations go to which law schools? Or are they all sent to all of them on your list?

Thanks in advance!

Samara

Gold

Re: LSAC Evaluations

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:03 am

clarawater wrote:I'm currently working on getting forms out to people writing my letters of recommendation. I see that there is an evaluation aspect as well.
Just a few questions about this I was hoping someone with experience could answer.

1. Do all law schools require evaluations as well as letters of recommendation? If they do not, do they still look at evaluations?
(i.e. is it better to send evaluations to schools that don't require them, or to not send them?)

2. On LSAC, once evaluations and letters are submitted, are you able to choose which letters/evaluations go to which law schools? Or are they all sent to all of them on your list?

Thanks in advance!
1. Ignore evaluations. No school asks for them and some even discourage them. If you submit them, they will look at them, but they will likely hold no weight. (Note: Northwestern is the only exception, but they have their own form, the Career Progress Evaluation and even that is optional.)

2. Yes, you can choose.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 am

Samara wrote:
clarawater wrote:I'm currently working on getting forms out to people writing my letters of recommendation. I see that there is an evaluation aspect as well.

Thanks in advance!
1. Ignore evaluations. No school asks for them and some even discourage them. If you submit them, they will look at them, but they will likely hold no weight. (Note: Northwestern is the only exception, but they have their own form, the Career Progress Evaluation and even that is optional.)

2. Yes, you can choose.
Some schools discourage them? Which schools? I was not aware of this. I am aware that most, if not all, do not require them.

I figure to send the standard two or three LORs from professors and use an evaluation form to let my employer chime in.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
Samara wrote:

Thanks in advance!

2. Yes, you can choose.
Some schools discourage them? Which schools? I was not aware of this. I am aware that most, if not all, do not require them.

I figure to send the standard two or three LORs from professors and use an evaluation form to let my employer chime in.
Schools specificy the min and max number of LORs and evals they'll accept, and the number they recommend. Sometimes the number of evals recommended is zero.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:04 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
Samara wrote:

Thanks in advance!

2. Yes, you can choose.

I don't remember which one it was, it may have been Penn or Cornell, but it said something in the app along the lines of "these evaluation things are new and we think they're dumb. Please submit letters of recommendation when possible." That was the final nail in the evaluation coffin for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I read an interview with a UVA rep and they stated that they do not accept them (although it could be different in this year's cycle).

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Good to know. Thanks.

clarawater

New

Post by clarawater » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:24 pm

This may seem like a dumb question, but where do the schools specify? I know that most information is found on the admissions part of their website, but is it listed on LSAC? Like if I am about to submit LOR and evals online, will it say "School X does not accept evaluations" so as to prevent me from submitting them??

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:28 pm

clarawater wrote:This may seem like a dumb question, but where do the schools specify? I know that most information is found on the admissions part of their website, but is it listed on LSAC? Like if I am about to submit LOR and evals online, will it say "School X does not accept evaluations" so as to prevent me from submitting them??
In the section on LSAC where you select which LORs/evals to submit to each school, it shows you the min/max/recommended right there (and will show you a red error symbol if you haven't met the minimum yet). It's very handy.

clarawater

New

Post by clarawater » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Great, thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”