One F pulling my GPA below a 3.0... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arak

New

One F pulling my GPA below a 3.0...

Post by arak » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:40 am

Hi everyone, I feel that my GPA is preventing me from going to law school. Due to extreme circumstances, I have one F on my transcript. I plan on attaching an addendum to my application to explain my circumstances, however, I'm still worried about schools dinging me because of this one grade.

The one F on my transcript pulls my LSDAS GPA below a 3.0.

If I provide a strong addendum explaining the situation I was in during the quarter I received the F, would schools possibly look past my one F?

If not, is there anything I can do to raise my GPA? I've already graduated with my BA, but I'm willing to take classes at a JC to give my GPA the extra bump it needs, if this is possible...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: One F pulling my GPA below a 3.0...

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:42 am

Kill the LSAT and bring your GPA as much as possible. If you do very well on the LSAT you should still have a shot at some splitter-friendly schools (e.g. WUSTL).

arak

New

Post by arak » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 am

Lawquacious wrote:Kill the LSAT and bring your GPA as much as possible. If you do very well on the LSAT you should still have a shot at some splitter-friendly schools (e.g. WUSTL).
Thanks for the advice, Lawquacious.

I already have a 167 and I plan on retaking in attempt to break 170. (I know this isn't a sure thing)

I'm trying to work in California eventually, which puts me in a rough situation since the non-T14 splitter-friendly schools don't place too well in the West coast. This is why I'm so desperate about my GPA, I know schools like GULC and UVA don't like splitters with sub 3.0 GPAs. If I can't give my GPA the bump it needs, I see no reason to retake the LSAT.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 am

If you've already received your BA then there's nothing you can do to bring up your GPA. Just focus on the LSAT and get a score in the 170's. Maybe get a few years of work experience. That would make Northwestern possible, and they frequently take people with sub-3.0's. Those are your best options for getting into a top school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”