Northwestern LoR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
basilseal

Bronze

Northwestern LoR

Post by basilseal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'll be applying in the next cycle, and very much want to be, work, and live in Chicago. Therefore, my top two choices are Chicago and Northwestern (I'll be applying to other schools as well, but these are my targets). I have been out of school for a year and will have had two years of WE before entering LS.

Based on a little bit of research, I am planning on sending two LoRs from UG profs to Chicago and most of my other schools. However, since NW places such an emphasis on WE, would it be useful to add/replace a letter from my boss (non-legal, non-profit field)?

Thanks for your help.

splitmuch

Silver

Re: Northwestern LoR

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:41 pm

basilseal wrote:Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'll be applying in the next cycle, and very much want to be, work, and live in Chicago. Therefore, my top two choices are Chicago and Northwestern (I'll be applying to other schools as well, but these are my targets). I have been out of school for a year and will have had two years of WE before entering LS.

Based on a little bit of research, I am planning on sending two LoRs from UG profs to Chicago and most of my other schools. However, since NW places such an emphasis on WE, would it be useful to add/replace a letter from my boss (non-legal, non-profit field)?

Thanks for your help.
Yes you'll wan't something from your boss for NW. They have this screw LOR form that they prefer too called career progress evaluation or something like that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:42 pm

--LinkRemoved--

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:49 pm

basilseal wrote:Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'll be applying in the next cycle, and very much want to be, work, and live in Chicago. Therefore, my top two choices are Chicago and Northwestern (I'll be applying to other schools as well, but these are my targets). I have been out of school for a year and will have had two years of WE before entering LS.

Thanks for your help.
yeah have the boss send something, they don't care what your ug professor has to say. to be honest, not having any lor's at all doesn't seem to affect your application if the rest of it is in place, you can still get in and still get scholly money if you give them nothing at all.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:07 pm

You can always have more than one LOR in your though, so if both LsOR are good, I would still send them to Northwestern. But yeah, at least one work-related CPE/LOR is practically mandatory at NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Samara wrote:You can always have more than one LOR in your though, so if both LsOR are good, I would still send them to Northwestern. But yeah, at least one work-related CPE/LOR is practically mandatory at NU.
I had 2 professor LORs and 0 CPEs. Far from mandatory.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Samara wrote:You can always have more than one LOR in your though, so if both LsOR are good, I would still send them to Northwestern. But yeah, at least one work-related CPE/LOR is practically mandatory at NU.
You're the exception, not the rule. A professional rec (i actually sent in my rec from my boss that I used for other schools along with the CPE) is a very good idea if youre applying to NU.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:29 pm

If you can get a good CPE from an employer do it. On top of that submit 1 or 2 LoRs from academic people. Also, make the effort to interview (that's something that does seem to help a lot)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm

splitmuch wrote:You're the exception, not the rule. A professional rec (i actually sent in my rec from my boss that I used for other schools along with the CPE) is a very good idea if youre applying to NU.
+1 The CPE is pretty new, no?
Flips88 wrote:If you can get a good CPE from an employer do it. On top of that submit 1 or 2 LoRs from academic people. Also, make the effort to interview (that's something that does seem to help a lot)
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Definitely interview. If youre anywhere near a major metro its easy to set up and I think it definitely helps (or really that not doing it hurts)

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
You're the exception, not the rule. A professional rec (i actually sent in my rec from my boss that I used for other schools along with the CPE) is a very good idea if youre applying to NU.
You could always have none. No LOR's or CPE are mandatory. I submitted neither and was accepted with $$ and generally median stats. I could have submitted them too, but because of the timing of my apps, I just decided not to.

I really believe NU doesn't care about any of that shit but it gives options for you to send them what they want to hear. If you send in LOR's, I think they might actually just not read them (even though their official answer would be that they do). The CPE's they will review as a light supplement.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:18 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
You could always have none. No LOR's or CPE are mandatory. I submitted neither and was accepted with $$ and generally median stats. I could have submitted them too, but because of the timing of my apps, I just decided not to.

I really believe NU doesn't care about any of that shit but it gives options for you to send them what they want to hear. If you send in LOR's, I think they might actually just not read them (even though their official answer would be that they do). The CPE's they will review as a light supplement.
Did you interview?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Perhaps, I guess it depends on your situation. Completely anecdotally from what I've seen of the splitters the ones who didn't get in were the ones who didn't do shit.

I also question what "generally median stats" means? If youre over a median, it doesn't really matter by how much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Flips88 wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:You could always have none. No LOR's or CPE are mandatory. I submitted neither and was accepted with $$ and generally median stats. I could have submitted them too, but because of the timing of my apps, I just decided not to.

Did you interview?
I didn't interview (at the time, I was set on staying local and going PT, so my other apps were somewhat half-assed), and submitted 2 professional LORs (graduated too long ago to get any academic LORs) and no CPEs. I'm a mild splitter with slightly below median GPA and 75% LSAT, so my numbers weren't auto-admit. I was accepted in the second small batch in mid-Jan.

I think there was some confusion over LORs/CPEs this year, and so they were accepting either. It might get more strict as they communicate the requirements a little better in future cycles.

If I had to do it over again, however, I'd definitely interview. Still kinda wondering why they pulled me out of the pile. (But glad they did!!)

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 pm

splitmuch wrote: Perhaps, I guess it depends on your situation. Completely anecdotally from what I've seen of the splitters the ones who didn't get in were the ones who didn't do shit.

I also question what "generally median stats" means? If youre over a median, it doesn't really matter by how much.
LSAT 1 above median, GPA .1 under median.
Flips88 wrote: Did you interview?
No, I was actually surprised not to get waitlisted. I submitted after Dec LSAT scores came in so I would have to have done an interview on campus which would have been tough because of work. :/ I really wanted to though.

I wasn't sure about the requirements of Northwestern, so I sent no LOR's because they seemed not to care and then no CPE's because I didn't have time to get them together.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote: If I had to do it over again, however, I'd definitely interview. Still kinda wondering why they pulled me out of the pile. (But glad they did!!)
ikr? lol no complaints here :)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:43 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Yes, you could always have none. Hence the use of practically. But why would you advise someone to do that? I'm operating under the assumption that anyone posting here for advice is looking to put together the strongest application they can. Thus, if you want to put together the strongest application you can for Northwestern, certainly we can all agree that interviews and LOR/CPEs should be viewed as practically mandatory, considering the detrimental effect their absence can cause, no?

Good on you for getting in without LOR/CPEs or an interview! I, however, know that with my numbers no stone should be left unturned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:43 pm

So I think the only thing we know about Northwestern admissions is that we know nothing.

FWIW, I have no idea how I got in. 1 year out of UG, LSAT 5 points below median, but a 4.0 GPA. Submitted with 2 LoRs and a Why Northwestern. I didn't apply until I got a fee waiver ($100 is a hefty one) and by that point it was too late to interview off campus and on campus was full I think. Luckily I got held and could interview on campus in March. I wrote two supplemental essays, and got surprisingly admitted in April.

ETA: I originally thought I would get outright dinged. Then when I got held I thought I'd get wait listed.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:So I think the only thing we know about Northwestern admissions is that we know nothing.
+1

NU is a special snowflake indeed. everything i thought i knew about northwestern.... was wrong, haha

i think that obviously LORs are preferable to lack of LORs. but they are far from mandatory (and practically mandatory). i did write supplemental essays though. maybe none of the above would hurt :p

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:So I think the only thing we know about Northwestern admissions is that we know nothing.
This is oddly comforting to me re: my chances.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:52 pm

robotclubmember wrote: i did write supplemental essays though. maybe none of the above would hurt :p
What kind of supplemental essays did you write?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Samara wrote:
robotclubmember wrote: i did write supplemental essays though. maybe none of the above would hurt :p
diversity statement (not a URM). i also had what i thought was a strong personal statement, but the other schools didn't seem to agree :). i only applied at half a dozen schools ranked t4 thru t14 and sent them all late jan. results: straight waitlists everywhere but NU. i would have been okay with waiting another cycle and applying earlier if i got in nowhere, but am happy to be going to NU so it's all cool.

i don't understand their admissions. they are much more amenable to splitters than other top schools. i have strong w/e and am a cpa, so i'd like to say that that's the big factor, but flips got in just fine without as much w/e, just like i got in fine without LORs. i wonder if they use a magic eightball? ;)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:05 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
Samara wrote:
diversity statement (not a URM). i also had what i thought was a strong personal statement, but the other schools didn't seem to agree :). i only applied at half a dozen schools ranked t4 thru t14 and sent them all late jan. results: straight waitlists everywhere but NU. i would have been okay with waiting another cycle and applying earlier if i got in nowhere, but am happy to be going to NU so it's all cool.

i don't understand their admissions. they are much more amenable to splitters than other top schools. i have strong w/e and am a cpa, so i'd like to say that that's the big factor, but flips got in just fine without as much w/e, just like i got in fine without LORs. i wonder if they use a magic eightball? ;)
Hmm...I can't decide if I'm going to submit a diversity statement or not. (Also not URM) I just don't know what I would write about that wouldn't be covered in my PS and I don't want to submit something if it's not on par with the rest of my writing examples.

I have good WE, but I'm really banking on its reputation as splitter-friendly, especially with WE.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”