"16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sheltron5000

Bronze

Re: "16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:16 pm

daesonesb wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:if anyone cares, I ended up saying *paraphrase* how stoked I was to read the On the Hill blogs, and see how student life was at cornell/how many opportunities the authors had. I then said that I'm an avid outdoorsman (truth) who likes camping and fishing, and that Ithaca is way more appealing to me than the city (lie).

TBH, I prefer a city like Seattle or Portland, where the outdoors is nearby, but so is good Korean Barbeque or live music.
<-- From Portland: There's actually a good korean BBQ place just a few blocks away from the lawschool... (better than anything I found in Portland anyway). Can't compete on the live music end, although Rogue Wave did a free concert on campus in the fall.
How do you find the town stacks up in comparison to the pacNW?
More uptight? Less? Given you're from portland, I'm assuming you've seen some of the surrounding area, do many 1L's you know take advantage of that (like going camping on weekends) or is the general consensus that weekends are for drinking and studying?
The main difference seems to be that the water is frozen, there's less of it, and the trees are brown... Despite being from portland, I can't say I'm much of an outdoorsman (well, relatively speaking; I'm no city slicker), so I haven't been out hiking or anything. But I know that there are quite a few trails in and very close to the town, and there are a few dedicated hikers in my class who try to get out. I've heard nothing but positive things about the area from them. I think there are trails less than 10 minutes away, and some of the trailheads have bus stops. And I'd imagine there's some pretty fantastic snowshoeing/cross-country skiing around.

It really is a very heavy work load, so it's hard to take a whole weekend to go backpacking or anything, but if you manage your time appropriately I'm sure you could do it. Plenty of people drink and study all weekend, but if you put a notice asking for people to go up for an afternoon or something I'm sure there would be a few takers.

Ithacan culturally is a lot like a small version of Eugene (350k vs. 100k): small hippy town surrounded by conservatives and country folk. It's upstate so the area is very rural, and ruralites are pretty similar everywhere. The people are generally nice, not as laid back as Portlanders but not as aloof as a lot of seattleites. Actually, if you can imagine a tiny version of Eugene dropped into the eastern PNW, like the tri-cities area, you'd be pretty close.

VERY IMPORTANT: the local beer is top notch, if you like IPA's you have to try the Ithaca Brewery's "Flowerpower" it's a top five favorite of mine. There's a local coffee company "Gimme!" that is as good as anything in the PNW (great cappuccinos and they just opened a new location in the downtown bus station), and another Ithaca Coffee Roaster that doesn't suck. The wine, on the other hand: not great. There are local wineries, but, not surprisingly, they focus on whites, and well, the growing season here is pretty short...

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, but check out these threads if you haven't already:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=41118
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 20&t=52255

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:47 am

I talked about using and loving the Cornell legal information institute as a student and as an instructor and wanting a chance to work for it as a law student.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:52 am

I talked about a specific program that only their school has and a course that I had followed via the syllabus and looking up the professor. Also, the usual stuff about the community and Ithaca. I don't know if it made a difference but people with better numbers than me got deferred or rejected so I think maybe is made a small difference?

Puffy

New

Post by Puffy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 pm

I just put "Relative promixity to sister." By the way so people are getting decisions from these sloths?

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:09 pm

daesonesb wrote:if anyone cares, I ended up saying *paraphrase* how stoked I was to read the On the Hill blogs, and see how student life was at cornell/how many opportunities the authors had. I then said that I'm an avid outdoorsman (truth) who likes camping and fishing, and that Ithaca is way more appealing to me than the city (lie).

TBH, I prefer a city like Seattle or Portland, where the outdoors is nearby, but so is good Korean Barbeque or live music.
We have shockingly disproportionately good and many korean BBQ for being in the frozen wilderness

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vanny

New

Post by Vanny » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Boom:

In pursuit of a legal education to serve the underprivileged, I wish to gain the best practical experience law school can provide. Cornell's Child Advocacy Clinic will allow me to build on previous mentorship experience with at-risk youth, and grant the opportunity to facilitate constructive conversations by sharing those experiences.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Vanny wrote:Boom:

In pursuit of a legal education to serve the underprivileged, I wish to gain the best practical experience law school can provide. Cornell's Child Advocacy Clinic will allow me to build on previous mentorship experience with at-risk youth, and grant the opportunity to facilitate constructive conversations by sharing those experiences.
There is no real need to respond to 6 year old threads about Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”