Columbia deferral-> readmission process Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wsjch05

New

Columbia deferral-> readmission process

Post by wsjch05 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:24 am

Hi, I am deferring my admission to Columbia for a year with the plan of matriculating in Aug 2012.
I have received the Deferral Agreement, and am about to sign and mail it with the my 500 dollar deposit.
But, I am just a little nervous about the readmission process that I will be going through in January 2012 to
enroll. I have stated in my request for a deferral that I will be working as a paralegal/ legal assistant at a local law firm. (I wrote that I was looking for positions at the moment) aside from doing independent studies.

Would doing something else, (say, working in a different field, or working overseas) be grounds for
rescission of admission?
I know I probably shouldn't worry too much, but I would really appreciate some input from ppl who have
gone through the process or know ppl who have done readmission at Columbia.
Thanks in advance.

Confused7

Silver

Re: Columbia deferral-> readmission process

Post by Confused7 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:59 am

From what I understand, deferral is not the same as "readmission" as the law school is basically saving a seat for you in September 2012. That seat is yours, unless perhaps you do something crazy like acquire criminal charges or continue to apply to other schools while you're deferring. I don't think law schools care about whether or not you're doing exactly what you stated in your deferral letter, especially since you stated in your letter that you're still searching for opportunities at this moment.

If you're really worried, I would just call CLS admissions and ask them about their deferral process. I did for my case at another law school, and they assured me that it would not be a stressful process at all and that as long as I had a reason for deferring, they would grant it to me. I imagine that it can't be too different at CLS.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Sun May 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Unless, come December, you post a status update saying "Woah, my finals at Harvard Law finally over, I can relax a bit."; you will be just fine.

wsjch05

New

Post by wsjch05 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:42 am

thx for putting my mind at ease. I did send an email to the school, but they haven't responded yet.

Guess they too think I am getting nervous for nothing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”