Academic Probation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
McLusky

New

Academic Probation

Post by McLusky » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Anybody here ever been on it, and if so, has it affected your cycle? If you had the numbers to get into a school, but were dinged for reasons unbeknownst, do you think being on academic probation had anything to do with it?

EricBerry

Bronze

Re: Academic Probation

Post by EricBerry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:11 pm

i was one of the lowest ranked students for the first three semesters at my first undergrad. I wrote a sincere and compelling addendum highlighting my 3.7 GPA over the remainder of college and greatly outperformed my numbers this cycle. I think it's all about how you spun it. I was accepted at 5 LSP denies.

McLusky

New

Post by McLusky » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm about two years away from applying, I guess I'm just worrying in advance. So I guess the addendum is key.

Thanks for your time.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 pm

No problem. The addendum is definitely gonna be key. You'll want to have the absolute highest GPA possible over the remainder of undergrad. My first three semesters: 1.5; final 6 semesters: 3.8.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Was on academic probation after first semester. Had pretty good grades from that point on. Don't think it affected my cycle at all. I wrote a pretty standard addendum.

Your GPA is what it is, and most schools don't really care how it got there (unless of course you have a serious downward trend, which may raise an eyebrow or two).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”