Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Craplicant150

New

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Post by Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I agree you don't have to get in the 170s to be a great lawyer. I don't think I'm any better at debating than people who scored in the 160s just because I scored in the 160s.

BUT if you are in the 140s you probably argue like an idiot - just sayin'.

I have talked to lawyers who are very successful who went to lower ranked law schools (tier 2s), but even they can pick up on a flawed argument in 2 seconds. Even these people, though, had to break a 155 or so. I think there's a certain competency OP just wouldn't have to succeed at this point in law school.
Wrong...

Only Logical Reasoning tests one's ability to pick up a flawed argument.

Reading Comprehension and Logic Games don't test that. Since 2/3rd of the test doesn't test what you claim it does, YOUR ARGUMENT is flawed!!! LOL... like 10 year olds..

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I agree you don't have to get in the 170s to be a great lawyer. I don't think I'm any better at debating than people who scored in the 160s just because I scored in the 160s.

BUT if you are in the 140s you probably argue like an idiot - just sayin'.

I have talked to lawyers who are very successful who went to lower ranked law schools (tier 2s), but even they can pick up on a flawed argument in 2 seconds. Even these people, though, had to break a 155 or so. I think there's a certain competency OP just wouldn't have to succeed at this point in law school.
Wrong...

Only Logical Reasoning tests one's ability to pick up a flawed argument.

Reading Comprehension and Logic Games don't test that. Since 2/3rd of the test doesn't test what you claim it does, YOUR ARGUMENT is flawed!!! LOL... like 10 year olds..
there are 2 LR sections bro

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:Mickey... You've got some splannin to do...

First you confuse statistics with probability, and then in essence contradict your argument.

Regression Analysis huh? Contigency Fit...

I am an economics major, and have taken plenty of statistics classes. You aren't going to fool me buddy....

You use statistical test models AFTER gathering data to test to see if your hypotheisis is/was correct. This is not predictive by any means....

For example:

Ho- Drug A will not improve patients symptoms

Ha- Drug B will improve patients symptoms

Then you test the the drug on a sample, collect the data, and probably do a Z-test to determine whether to accept the null or reject the alternative.

You can make a hypothesis now, but can't test it until 2013 or 2014
:lol: :lol:

you're right, nothing can be proven until 2014. I'll change my mission statement to "go ahead and approach Cooley and Columbia with the same mindset, we can only make determinations out of past data, and therefore you can't know which school will perform better until you graduate"

Thanks for fixing my entire outlook on law school!

Craplicant150

New

Post by Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Well...

Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

What did you score on the LSAT?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 pm

how do you know you won't die in 2013? not worth going to law school imo, better to spend your last days fishing and hanging with your friends than wasting away in a classroom.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Craplicant150

New

Post by Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:50 pm

BTW you better make a careful hypothesis.

If you say something like

Ho- Cooley won't lead to job
Ha- Cooley will lead to a job

Statisticians would require that a minumum of 95% of the data would be within 1.96 standard deviations of the mean in order to accept the null.

This is called DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS :)

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 pm

fatduck wrote:how do you know you won't die in 2013? not worth going to law school imo, better to spend your last days fishing and hanging with your friends than wasting away in a classroom.
Hey dude, think you could hook me up with your library of Corgis in Suits, could really use a set of those.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:Well...

Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

Seeing as I am your undisputed intellectual inferior, you could only assume it was probably lower than yours. I guess all that "probability crap" doesn't mean anything now that it's been soundly refuted and i've gg'd out. Thank you for teaching me about high school level statistics, as I clearly had no idea what any of those words actually meant. Take it easy on us plebians next time with your tour de force of wit, thanks!

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:

Seeing as I am your undisputed intellectual inferior, you could only assume it was probably lower than yours. I guess all that "probability crap" doesn't mean anything now that it's been soundly refuted and i've gg'd out. Thank you for teaching me about high school level statistics, as I clearly had no idea what any of those words actually meant. Take it easy on us plebians next time with your tour de force of wit, thanks!
MQ, it was kind of funny at first, but stop feeding the troll, he keeps bumping all of these threads with his waste-of-time nonsense and I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing this guy/alt around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:08 pm

alexonfyre wrote: MQ, it was kind of funny at first, but stop feeding the troll, he keeps bumping all of these threads with his waste-of-time nonsense and I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing this guy/alt around.
Don't tell me I can't have fun!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 am

Holy crap how did I not see this thread before.

/new respect for MQ

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:56 am

This thread is getting fucking silly.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 am

You are screwed. It's fucking Cooley.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emmbar53

Bronze

Post by emmbar53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 pm

How in the world are you confusing likelihood with certainty? Mickey doesn't need certainty in his argument, because obviously there is no certainty concerning something as variable as the future economy. There is a significant likelihood, however, and that is what Mickey is basing his arguments on.

Let's look at an analogy that should illuminate your mistakes in this interaction with Mickey. Imagine the following exchange.

Mickey: It's been 100 degrees out the last four weeks, and, given that we're in Arizona and it's August, it's gonna be pretty damn hot tomorrow as well.

You: Ha! There is no way to know that! It is not certain that the sun will even rise tomorrow! And if that doesn't happen, it will be cold as shit! We can't test your hypothesis until tomorrow, so, for now, it is useless!

You are basically assuming that you need certainty in order to have knowledge (or maybe even the stronger claim, that you need certainty for your evidence to even have any weight). Either way, this is obviously wrong, and no legitimate thinker/philosopher has believed these claims in centuries.

-----

TL;DR version: Craplicant's reasoning centers around the outrageous claim that you need certainty for your evidence to carry any weight.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:08 pm

He's clearly trolling at this point, folks. Move along, nothing more to see here.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Mickey... You've got some splannin to do...

First you confuse statistics with probability, and then in essence contradict your argument.

Regression Analysis huh? Contigency Fit...

I am an economics major, and have taken plenty of statistics classes. You aren't going to fool me buddy....

You use statistical test models AFTER gathering data to test to see if your hypotheisis is/was correct. This is not predictive by any means....

For example:

Ho- Drug A will not improve patients symptoms

Ha- Drug B will improve patients symptoms

Then you test the the drug on a sample, collect the data, and probably do a Z-test to determine whether to accept the null or reject the alternative.

You can make a hypothesis now, but can't test it until 2013 or 2014
:lol: :lol:

you're right, nothing can be proven until 2014. I'll change my mission statement to "go ahead and approach Cooley and Columbia with the same mindset, we can only make determinations out of past data, and therefore you can't know which school will perform better until you graduate"

Thanks for fixing my entire outlook on law school!
I'm guessing that "plenty of statistics classes" = 1 intro level course.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Craplicant150 wrote: What did you score on the LSAT?
--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 pm

sundance95 wrote:He's clearly trolling at this point, folks. Move along, nothing more to see here.
while this guy is one of the more obvious "trolls" on tls, he also appears to be legitimately stupid, and thus it is still fun to mess with him.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:33 pm

fatduck wrote:
sundance95 wrote:He's clearly trolling at this point, folks. Move along, nothing more to see here.
while this guy is one of the more obvious "trolls" on tls, he also appears to be legitimately stupid, and thus it is still fun to mess with him.
sundance95 SAID MOVE ALONG GOD DAMMIT!

emmbar53

Bronze

Post by emmbar53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm

fatduck wrote:
And, really, when someone says "I am majoring in Economics and took some stats classes" and thinks we're supposed to be impressed....he's begging to be messed with.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Updates upon rereading this thread:

1.) I've decided Crapplicant is pretty clearly just trolling, and banned him.
2.) I've decided MQ might be my new favorite poster.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:26 am

hahahahah at every single one of you dumbfucks who fell for the TC and that craplicant troll.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:32 am

jcccc wrote:hahahahah at every single one of you dumbfucks who fell for the TC and that craplicant troll.
yea we sure got fooled! no one had any idea. haha, fuck you three-years-ago me!

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:43 am

patogordo wrote:
jcccc wrote:hahahahah at every single one of you dumbfucks who fell for the TC and that craplicant troll.
Yup you're a moron!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:50 am

jcccc wrote:
patogordo wrote:
Yup you're a moron!
so...it's 2014. did you get a job or not?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”