2012 US News Top 10 posted online Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mst

Silver

Re: 2012 US News Top 10 posted online

Post by mst » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Bumi wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:USNWR updated their formula to include a poll of recruiters and rebalanced the amount that they count % employed at graduation and % employed 9 months out, plus eliminated a loophole where crappy schools could pad their stats by not reporting % employed at graduation.
Did USNWR explicitly say they would do the bolded, or is that just speculation? I recall their letter being worded ambiguously, and those changes (rebalancing at graduation and 9 month out %s and eliminating the non-reporting loophole) were just some educated guess on what those specific changes would be?
Just did some googling, and I think you're right. Either way, we'll find out tomorrow I guess.[/quote]

It wasn't mentioned in the letter but I think some guy found the new methodology on their site somewhere. Could be wrong.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:06 pm

They also released top ten lists for Medicine, Business and Engineering. Congratulations to Stanford for being the only school to make the top ten on all four lists.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Does this get released at midnight or does it happen during the day tomorrow?

By the way, I stand by my prediction that Cornell is going to jump. Duke is going to drop.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:12 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Does this get released at midnight or does it happen during the day tomorrow?

By the way, I stand by my prediction that Cornell is going to jump. Duke is going to drop.
The countdown on the website leads me to believe it'll be up around midnight.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:14 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:The countdown on the website leads me to believe it'll be up around midnight.
TLS sleepover!!! I'll bring the glitter nail polish.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:17 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:They also released top ten lists for Medicine, Business and Engineering. Congratulations to Stanford for being the only school to make the top ten on all four lists.
cal would have had it too if they had a med school. haha or if you count ucsf as cal's med school (which some people relate to), then go CAL!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:30 pm

glitched wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:They also released top ten lists for Medicine, Business and Engineering. Congratulations to Stanford for being the only school to make the top ten on all four lists.
cal would have had it too if they had a med school. haha or if you count ucsf as cal's med school (which some people relate to), then go CAL!
Med School rankings aren't as fun because every school in the Top 100 is equivalent to the LS T14.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:37 pm

mst wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:
mst wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:Why do people care about Boalt having a low LSAT median?

Also the employment argument is ridiculous as the new NLJ data proves.
Class of 2010 is not exactly new. We're talking 3 OCI's ago with that. Not that I have hard facts to share on the new OCI either... but you cant defend the continuous flame of "OCI at Boalt this year was terrible" with nlj data reflective of 2008 when its 2011.

And people care about the LSAT (and im not saying this is warranted) because they think theres a big difference between schools with medians in the low to mid 170's (a lot of the t10) and a school that falls quite a few points below that and frequently admits mid 160's (median) and has a 25th of 163 (might have changed since I last checked). That COULD mean that up to 50% of their class is scoring 163 or 164 and below. And yeah, 2 or 3 points is a VERY debatable subject when talking about meaningful differences. But 10 point differences is a notable difference in basic abilities from my personal experiences with people, and I think all the people who jump on the low lsat train would agree with that sentiment as well. Of course they can't prove it. It's just their opinion.
Let me get this straight, so people here don't like a school because they don't focus entirely on numbers in the admissions process? It's not like the LSAT is some intelligence test and scoring below X makes a person any less qualified for a job. In fact, only 1 employer (not a firm) even asked for my score at OCI. Seems like a lot of people are pissed that they got a high score on a largely meaningless test but they still weren't good enough for a school. I can see that being disheartening but get over yourself and go do something interesting with your time.

I was referring the most recent NLJ data. I understand that its from a few OCI's ago but it is still the only real data we have to work on.
Dude/dudette, you asked a honest question why 15 people in here half-jokingly put +1 on berkeley falling and I gave an honest, logical, well-reasoned answer that made sure to state it was all opinion and speculatory and you just go nuts and attack me personally. That makes no sense. And then you go on to bash me saying I didn't get in and that I'm just pissed and that I need to "get over myself". Personally, I love berkeley. I love its location, the universities mission, the excellent top tier faculty that competes with any other t10, the feeling I get being on that campus. I never found out whether I'd get in because that just wasn't where I wanted to go. Maybe I wouldn't have. But don't come on here bashing me for taking the five minutes of my time to answer your rant and questions with down-to-earth, serious answers.

As for the most recent nlj data, we do have better data which is what everyone from the past 2 years oci's have been reporting on these forums and the other t10's own school oci data which have been substantially higher than even the nlj data (which in the end isn't that great by itself considering the continually skyrocketing tuition at the school).

But thanks for ripping on me personally either way?
Wow wow wow, no personal attack. I was just responding generally, I didn't intend to write it as a personal attack, sorry if you read it like that.

EDIT: I see the confusion, the "yourself" was not at you but rather the larger group of people who think that the low lsat median means Boalt is a TTT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”