Waitlist advice??? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aj58

New

Waitlist advice???

Post by aj58 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 am

I recently received an email from McGeorge informing me that I have been put on their waitlist. I graduated with a 3.6 (top 10% of my class) and received 153 on the lsat (I'm thinking they may think my lsat was a little on the low side). I ended up being able to receive another letter of recommendation making for a total of 3 letters. I want to know if any one had any advice for me that I could use to sway the admissions committee in my favor? Would it be a good idea to maybe write them a letter explaining why my GPA is more representative of my abilities than the lsat? Thank you for the advice in advance.

txadv11

Silver

Re: Waitlist advice???

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 am

#1, people are going to stress to you that you should retake, just warning. #2. Research a LOCI (Letter of Continued Interest). Typically, a waitlist means you aren't the most sought after applicant, but they aren't ready to let you go. In my opinion, the GPA being more representative over the LSAT, would have been something for an addendum on your original application. I'd shape my letter to reflect an extreme interest in McGeorge. Also, try to incorporate any recent changes such as new jobs, huge projects, volunteering...etc. At this point you need to show a huge interest in them, and hope they send it back your way.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 am

aj58 wrote:I recently received an email from McGeorge informing me that I have been put on their waitlist. I graduated with a 3.6 (top 10% of my class) and received 153 on the lsat (I'm thinking they may think my lsat was a little on the low side). I ended up being able to receive another letter of recommendation making for a total of 3 letters. I want to know if any one had any advice for me that I could use to sway the admissions committee in my favor? Would it be a good idea to maybe write them a letter explaining why my GPA is more representative of my abilities than the lsat? Thank you for the advice in advance.
Yeesh...if you acquired another LoR, certainly send it, but is retaking not an option at all? 3.6 is a very good GPA and you could get into some excellent schools with a little LSAT practice. Did you work as hard as you feel you could have in preparing for the test?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 pm

OP: You are thinking correctly. Submit the third letter of recommendation & send an explanatory LOCI.

aj58

New

Post by aj58 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Thank you I a have researched LOICs and am going to send one. And as for taking the LSAT again I want to start this fall so taking it again is not an option, but thank you for the advice. Any additional advice is welcomed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”