Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawfreak

Bronze

Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Post by lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm

For example Jews. Jews are definitely considered a minority, so why don't they have it easier when it comes to law school admissions as well?

d34d9823

Gold

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm

lawfreak wrote:For example Jews. Jews are definitely considered a minority, so why don't they have it easier when it comes to law school admissions as well?
Fail troll is fail.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:15 pm

jew=ORM

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:16 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
lawfreak wrote:For example Jews. Jews are definitely considered a minority, so why don't they have it easier when it comes to law school admissions as well?
Fail troll is fail.
Not sure what you're driving at buddy, cuz I certainly don't have any trolling intentions with this question!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:22 pm

In the event that you aren't just trolling, I will attempt to explain. When we use the term "under-represented", we are not saying under-represented in society (i.e. we aren't asking if the group is a minority or not). Instead, a group is underrepresented in the legal field when the percentage of that group in the legal field is lower than the percentage of that group in society. For example, African Americans make up about 13% of the US population. However, the percentage of african american lawyers is lower than 13%. Thus, they are under-represented in the field. Jews, on the other hand, are about 2.5% of the US population. However, Jews make up FAR more than 2.5% of all lawyers. Thus, they are actually OVER-represented in the legal field compared to their percentage of the overall population. Therefore, there is no URM status attached to such a group. Hope this clarifies (unless of course you are just trolling)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm

dakatz wrote:In the event that you aren't just trolling, I will attempt to explain. When we use the term "under-represented", we are not saying under-represented in society (i.e. we aren't asking if the group is a minority or not). Instead, a group is underrepresented in the legal field when the percentage of that group in the legal field is lower than the percentage of that group in society. For example, African Americans make up about 13% of the US population. However, the percentage of African American lawyers is lower than 13%. Thus, they are under-represented in the field. Jews, on the other hand, are about 2.5% of the US population. However, Jews make up FAR more than 2.5% of all lawyers. Thus, they are actually OVER-represented in the legal field compared to their percentage of the overall population. Therefore, there is no URM status attached to such a group. Hope this clarifies (unless of course you are just trolling)
Thanks! Oh, and regarding your "concern" that I'm just trolling, you obviously did not bother to read my above comment about that.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:30 pm

anyone can just convert to a religion and really have as equal claim to it as people who were raised as that religion

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 pm

I'll admit it, I laughed at this topic.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 pm

On this topic - since you're saying that Jews represent a large slice of the legal profession, shouldn't that be reason alone for a school to give more leniency towards accepting Jews? Granted there are many prestigious Jewish lawyers, if I was on an admissions committee, I would be excited to see a Jew applying, wouldn't you?

And no, I a-m n-o-t t-r-y-i-n-g t-o be a t-r-o-l-l!!!!!! Is that better?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

dr123 wrote:anyone can just convert to a religion and really have as equal claim to it as people who were raised as that religion
Actually, conversion to Judaism is a pretty complicated process...

...just sayin'.

However, saying one is of a certain religion...well, who can challenge that?
Last edited by Ginj on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 pm

gens1tb wrote:I'll admit it, I laughed at this topic.
+1

IBTL

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm an atheist - we're under-represented too.

Lock please.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

gens1tb wrote:I'll admit it, I laughed at this topic.
Well then you've got some serious issues :lol:

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:35 pm

ahduth wrote:I'm an atheist - we're under-represented too.

Lock please.
+1

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Ginj wrote:
dr123 wrote:anyone can just convert to a religion and really have as equal claim to it as people who were raised as that religion
Actually, conversion to Judaism is a pretty complicated process...

...just sayin'.
If Charlotte from Sex and the City did it, I can too!
I highly doubt atheists are under-represented in the legal field.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Lock please.
You're absolutely correct!!!! You are under-represented in the legal profession which is precisely why if I were on an admissions committee, I would not take you. Contrarily, Jews which are reputable in the legal profession, would certainly perk my interest a lot more. Thanks for helping me drive my point for the slow people out there.

As a side, most Jews are not converts, and an admissions counselor (or whatever their called) can tell a true genuine Jew from a fake judging by their experiences and transfer credits from Jewsih institutions e.t.c. So it would be really dumb to convert to Judaism for those of you wierdos who were actually considering it (yeah right!! :lol: )

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm

dr123 wrote:Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too
Yeah...speaking not only as a Mormon, but a Mormon who converted people: we usually vett those kinds of things. If this was your reason, you'd be miserable.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:49 pm

nigelfrost wrote:
dr123 wrote:Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too
Yeah...speaking not only as a Mormon, but a Mormon who converted people: we usually vett those kinds of things. If this was your reason, you'd be miserable.
what do you mean those kinds of things? Why are people currently converting to mormonism without honest intentions, since there is no religious aa i dont really see what the upside of being mormon is unless you truly believe

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:51 pm

dr123 wrote:
nigelfrost wrote:
what do you mean those kinds of things? Why are people currently converting to mormonism without honest intentions, since there is no religious aa i dont really see what the upside of being mormon is unless you truly believe
You'd be surprised.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

dr123 wrote:
nigelfrost wrote:
They probably want six 14 year old wives.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

lawfreak wrote:

Lock please.
You're absolutely correct!!!! You are under-represented in the legal profession which is precisely why if I were on an admissions committee, I would not take you. Contrarily, Jews which are reputable in the legal profession, would certainly perk my interest a lot more. Thanks for helping me drive my point for the slow people out there.

As a side, most Jews are not converts, and an admissions counselor (or whatever their called) can tell a true genuine Jew from a fake judging by their experiences and transfer credits from Jewsih institutions e.t.c. So it would be really dumb to convert to Judaism for those of you wierdos who were actually considering it (yeah right!! :lol: )
Unfunny troll or blithering moron. Either way, ban is appropriate.

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:54 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:They probably want six 14 year old wives.
Whoops. Shouldn't have said THAT one.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 pm

I would do anything to give my apps a substantial bump. But then again, I have no morality or values.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm

I never understood dudes who were all jealous of polygamist, dealing with one womans shit is hard enough. I couldn't imagine doing it for 5 different women at the same time

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”